'74 Ranchero engine swap

Started by Harry, September 07, 2012, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

We have a '74 Ford Ranchero that came with a 400 CI engine which I promptly blew up. My son has a chance to pick up a '78-'79 Lincoln 460.
Is this an easy bolt in? The Ranchero has an auto trans. I'm not sure which trans but it is original.
Is the 460 block the same as a 400 block?
Any info on this is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

wayne petty

351M, 400M 429 and 460 are 385 series motors along with the TRUCK only TALL block 370... these all have the same bell housing pattern...

so it should be a bolt in to the transmission case... and the torque converter..

i am not sure of the mounts and the other devices..

one of the other members will probably have an answer for you..

the 78/79 motors will use the BLUE grommet ignition module that has the red and white wire.. the white wire comes from the I terminal of the starter solenoid and kicks the timing back 10 degrees for easier starting..  

the 74 ranchero probably uses a black, red or a green module.. and i am not familiar what the amount of retard is if it was designed in...

as long as you have the engine out.. 4 things...

replace the oil pump.. with replacement of the pan gasket..

check the timing gear seat while you can see up in there when the oil pan is off...   these sometimes are still equipped with nylon and aluminum cam gears..

replace the oil pressure sending switch on the top rear of the engine..  why because they all eventually leak.

inspect the freeze plugs carefully.. they are a LOT easier to change when the engine is on a stand.. or hanging from a hoist.. than when installed...

enjenjo

Trans fits. Mounts are different. Continental of the same year is the same chassis, and the mounts will fit in a Ranchero, may have to drill a couple holes. If tou have to change the timing chain, use the 69-70 timing set, it advances the cam for more power.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

OK, that's what I needed to know.
Thank you all very much.