Chevy C1500 5 speed trans swaps?

Started by zzford, December 03, 2012, 10:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzford

My daily driver (1998 Chevy C1500, V-6 with a 5 speed) trans took a dump yesterday. I believe it has the Getrag trans in it. Does anyone here know if any of the other 5 speeds are a bolt in replacement? Thanks, guys.

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

zzford

I dunno. I was hoping someone here would know.

enjenjo

with the right bell housing a NV3500 or 3550 will fit. I believe the
getrag bolt pattern is unique. I don't think any other trans is a  bolt in.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: zzfordI dunno. I was hoping someone here would know.[/quote

Don't quote me..but I don't think there are any other trans. that bolt in to that V-6 GM truck application around 95-98. Give or take a year.
I think the 4x4 trans works..but they are even rarer.
Those things were pretty particular for several years. And the window is fairly small..several years. They command too high a price even used.

I know it is a shock from the days when it was pretty hard to NOT find a GM truck manual trans that would just bolt into ANY GM truck over a 15 year window or so. I think in the mid to later 1970's there were 3 manufacturers alone that built trans for them alone..let alone all the sub- models.

Good luck..

zzford

Thanks for the replies. Now, does anyone know if the 5 speed from an S-10, 4.3 fit? Also, is the late 4 cyl trans the same as a 4.3 trans?

manyolkars

I just got a 1999 S-10 5 speed from a 4.3 and have been looking for info. It seems that this transmission will work on a SBC . The 2.2 transmission is different

Charlie Chops 1940

The bell housing pattern on the 4.3 V-6 is the same as Chevy V-8's.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

manyolkars

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"The bell housing pattern on the 4.3 V-6 is the same as Chevy V-8's.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say