Tardel-McKenzie roadster has the record again!

Started by av8, August 15, 2004, 10:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

:D Larry McKenzie backed up Saturday's qualifying run of 165.068 mph with a record run this morning of 167.873 mph for a new two-way-average record of 166.470 mph!

Mike

enjenjo

I talked to them sat afternoon, missed you first thing. I did spend some time with aisle 7. Glad to hear they made it today
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "av8":D Larry McKenzie backed up Saturday's qualifying run of 165.068 mph with a record run this morning of 167.873 mph for a new two-way-average record of 166.470 mph!

Mike

Good job!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

av8

The lads ran a 168.289 yesterday which is more than enough to qualify for another record run to bump up the new record, but I don't see them in the record run list for this morning. Sure hope they didn't wound the motor. If anyone on the Salt has the opportunity to ask Vern or Terry how things are going and get back to me it would be greatly appreciated. Like adult children, they never call! :lol:

sodbuster

Mike,
They were in tech on Monday after the record run, so I think that it is on paper.

Oh yea, missed ya' this year. I was looking to have you sign my "Pith Helmut" this year. But you were not there. Oh well next year.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

av8

Quote from: "sodbuster"Mike,
They were in tech on Monday after the record run, so I think that it is on paper.

Oh yea, missed ya' this year. I was looking to have you sign my "Pith Helmut" this year. But you were not there. Oh well next year.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Sometimes life happens while you're making plans. And there's always next year . . .

Talked to Vern this morning. He's super-pleased with the way the car performed, and with an entire year to introduce a new magneto and injection it's going to be even better. All of the old heat gremlins have been eliminated, and when they pulled a head for certification Vern said the valves, deck, cylinder walls, and piston were gorgeous, looking like the motor had just been assembled!

There's a new problem to deal with now -- traction! Larry reports that he was seeing a lot of wheelspin above 165 mph which is why they opted not to back up Monday's 168 mph pass and settle for the new record at 166.470 mph. Increased ballast is the answer to this problem.

Vern said the Flatliners, who snagged the record away from us last year at 161.892 mph, were working to bump up the BGMR record of 159.384 mph they set last year, and when they'd done that they were going to change back to fuel and reclaim the BFMR record they just lost to the Tardel-McKenzie car. Apparently they're having some problems; Monday they were able to do no better than 150 mph and change against their own 159.384 BGMR record and didn't show up on the run chart for Tuesday. Of course, that could be because they decided to get back to defending their fuel record.  Wednesday's run charts should tell the story.

Vern did not sound very concerned. In fact, I haven't seen him this relaxed after Speed Week since 1995 when we spent the trip home whooping and hollering like kids after setting a XF/BGCC record with "Salt 'N Peppers" that stood until last year.