Here is another one for that book

Started by 348tripower, July 22, 2012, 06:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I finally fired the TPI engine in the COE on Wednesday evening. Sounds so sweet. :D  I tied up some loose ends on Thursday and waited for help to set the timing. This thing is so close to the front of the box that we put one guy in the cab to start and stop the engine, one in the box to turn the distributor and me underneath the hoist check the marks. All is well. Let the hoist down and listen to it run.
Seems as it warmed up it started smoking out the left bank. I took it out for a run on Friday and it smoked really bad. Came back and called the re builder. The told me that they had a run of bad valve seals and I should replace them. :shock: I made him next day me seals but I wont get them until tomorrow. :cry: Then I asked about the warranty. I was told they would not cover my labor.
:x
Anyway my pal Red had a set of good umbrella seals. I did two brake jobs yesterday and then headed to his shop in Hell. Yes that is where it is. :) I helped him stick a manual trans back in a 5.0 Mustang got the seals and came home.
I aired up cylinder number one and took off the intake spring. No seal. Same for the exhaust. Went to number three cylinder. No seals. Same for five and seven. :?
This morning I am going to set the valves and fire it off again.
I am going to call the re builder again and request some labor cost for this. I will post some pictures of the install later. I left the camera in the pole barn and at 6:00 am I am not ready to walk down there.
Don Colliau

kb426

Does that make you wonder about the rest of the rebuild?
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

makes me glad that the guys on the cylinder head line are not the guys who assemble the short blocks..

oj

A 'bad run of seals'?  
Since you are there and have the tools and air etc i would have a looksee at the other side too.  It ain't that bad a job once you get your head around it and you'll have piece of mind, last night just before sleep you were wonderin - right?

GPster

Quote from: "kb426"Does that make you wonder about the rest of the rebuild?
I doubt if their warrantee will cover towing if it "Sucks a Valve" on your trip either. It would seem that the warrantee is "Is it a biiger gamble on our side or their's?". GPster

57larry

have you used this rebuilder before?

Danimal

Quote from: "57larry"have you used this rebuilder before?

I'm betting not again.