a tachometer problem

Started by WZ JUNK, July 28, 2012, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Recently a friend of mine, who drives a model A roadster with a flathead in it, had his garage entered.  He thinks some kids got in there and probably more than once.  The net result is it appears they left the ignition on and ruined the points in the flathead.  He replaced the points,(his distributor has been updated to just one set of points), condenser, and coil.  The engine runs fine.  The Stewart Warner tack however, is another story.  It goes round and round, when the engine is running, like the second hand of a clock on speed.  It does not do this with ignition on and the motor not running.  He replaced the tach and the new one does the same thing.

I checked the most obvious stuff, correct wiring, continuity, and generally looking things over.  

We need a little help.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Canuck

Older tach with a seperate sender that has gone bad?

The 765 tach I have for the coupe has a seperate sender.  The 960 that I had before also had a seperate sender of a different style.

If it is a 765, I have test procedures for the tach and for the sender.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Canuck"Older tach with a seperate sender that has gone bad?

The 765 tach I have for the coupe has a seperate sender.  The 960 that I had before also had a seperate sender of a different style.

If it is a 765, I have test procedures for the tach and for the sender.

Canuck

This is a newer tach that looks like an older one.  It does not use a sender.  

I read a post on another message board that a filter inline with the tach signal wire might filter out interference that could cause this problem.

Thanks for the help.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Canuck

Just thinking that, if two tachs show the same problem, one new.  The problem is probably outside of the tach itself. That is why I was thinking of a defective sender.  If the original tach worked OK prior to the break in problem logic says the problem must be in the rest of the ignition system.

Try swapping out the condenser and the coil individually and see if either one clears the problem.  Not to many pieces there to create a problem.  Any other electronic pieces included in the swap from double points to single?  They may be suspect as well.

Canuck[/u]
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

Canuck

Quote from: "Canuck"Just thinking that, if two tachs show the same problem, one new.  The problem is probably outside of the tach itself. That is why I was thinking of a defective sender.  If the original tach worked OK prior to the break in problem logic says the problem must be in the rest of the ignition system.

Try swapping out the condenser and the coil individually and see if either one clears the problem.  Not to many pieces there to create a problem.  Any other electronic pieces included in the swap from double points to single?  They may be suspect as well.

Canuck[/u]

This may be like not checking the gas tank on the lawn m,ower when it doesn't start, and I have been there numerous times.

Is the tach connected to the (-) side of the coil?
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

WZ JUNK

He is in the process of checking out the distributor components now.  It is not easy as it is a crab like unit mounted low on the front of the engine.

Believe me I checked the connection on the coil.  It is not beyond me to fail to check the polarity.

Thanks, when we find the solution, I will post.

John

Canuck

This may be like not checking the gas tank on the lawn m,ower when it doesn't start, and I have been there numerous times.

Is the tach connected to the (-) side of the coil?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck