rear disc conversion kits

Started by trackster, July 04, 2012, 04:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

I'm thinkng about putting discs on the rear of my abone pickup.   Was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations for a particular brand.   Currently has a '57 Chevy rear.  Would prefer a bolt on kit that would not increase the offset for wheel mounting surface.  Will be talking to manufacturers at Columbus Goodguys this weekend.  Just looking for any input as to what to avoid or what might be a good fit without a lot of extra work to make everything work, before talking to them.

Thanks for any and all input.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

Charlie Chops 1940

I've used Engineered Components Inc kits for many years - just Google it - and found them to be excellent. The only difference in track width on their rear kits is the difference in the thickness of the rotor center over the drum center. Maybe 1/8" to 3/16". Hasn't been a deal breaker for me in the past.

They are a little pricey but they are good.

By the way - are you gonna be out at the ECTA mile meet?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

BFS57

Hello;
You did say 57 Chevy rear end? Then the folks at CPP (Classic Performance Products) can certainly give you what you want. The low down is that they just had a couple articles in Rod and Custom on how to ad disc brakes to a Tri-5. You will have to pull the axle shafts out in order to mount the brackets and  such.
Check them out.

Bruce

Digger

We have had good luck with  Master Power Brakes in the past. Very helpful and good to deal with.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

phat rat

Quote from: "Digger"We have had good luck with  Master Power Brakes in the past. Very helpful and good to deal with.

From my experience with their product and customer service I wouldn't use their parts on a kids little red wagon
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Digger

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Digger"We have had good luck with  Master Power Brakes in the past. Very helpful and good to deal with.

From my experience with their product and customer service I wouldn't use their parts on a kids little red wagon

WoW! sorry to hear that. We have used them a bunch of times and have only had one problem which they took care of right away.

Digger

trackster

I have been leaning towards ECI.  I've looked at their products in the past and they seem to be quality stuff. That amount of offset won't be a problem.

Not able to make it to the ECTA event this weekend.  Will be in Columbus for the GG show.  Went to the first meet in April, missed June meet and now the July meet.  Hope to make the next one.  Sept., I think.

trackster

Hadn't heard that about Master Power Brakes.   Had heard some issues with CPP.

phat rat

One spring I bought a booster from them to replace a failed one and couldn't get things to work right. At the time I had 4 wheel drum brakes on the cpe. After spending all summer trying different things plus numerous phone calls to MPB. I switched the cpe to 4 wheel discs. I changed all the lines plus bought a master from them. Still had the same exact problem of poor braking the next year. One time I was lucky enough??? to get a fella on the phone who said he was the owner. After I explained all I'd done and my growing frustration he told me to send the booster and master back for them to check. I then was told the booster had been defective and that they had rebuilt the master. When the new booster and rebuilt master arrived back I installed them with great expectation that my problems were finally over. NOT SO!!! I finally removed their booster and installed a $10 junkyard booster which is still on the car 10 years and 60,000 plus miles later. No problems with it, works great. BobK had the very same experience with the POS booster that he bought from them. He did the same as I did and the last I knew he was still running the junkyard piece also. So if you can be satisfied with marginal braking install marginal equipment.

Digger

Quote from: "phat rat"One spring I bought a booster from them to replace a failed one and couldn't get things to work right. At the time I had 4 wheel drum brakes on the cpe. After spending all summer trying different things plus numerous phone calls to MPB. I switched the cpe to 4 wheel discs. I changed all the lines plus bought a master from them. Still had the same exact problem of poor braking the next year. One time I was lucky enough??? to get a fella on the phone who said he was the owner. After I explained all I'd done and my growing frustration he told me to send the booster and master back for them to check. I then was told the booster had been defective and that they had rebuilt the master. When the new booster and rebuilt master arrived back I installed them with great expectation that my problems were finally over. NOT SO!!! I finally removed their booster and installed a $10 junkyard booster which is still on the car 10 years and 60,000 plus miles later. No problems with it, works great. BobK had the very same experience with the POS booster that he bought from them. He did the same as I did and the last I knew he was still running the junkyard piece also. So if you can be satisfied with marginal braking install marginal equipment.

No i am not satisfied with marginal braking or equipment and I resent the implications!

Digger

phat rat

Any time a companies customer service reacts in the manner in which MPB did to a problem they have to be aware of IMHO the equipment is marginal at best. Your acceptance and recommendation of it therefore suggests you accept marginal performance.
When two individuals experience the very same mediocre performance a couple of years apart, as BobK and I did to me it also shows poor regards for the customer as they keep selling the POS parts.

Digger

Quote from: "phat rat"Any time a companies customer service reacts in the manner in which MPB did to a problem they have to be aware of IMHO the equipment is marginal at best. Your acceptance and recommendation of it therefore suggests you accept marginal performance.
When two individuals experience the very same mediocre performance a couple of years apart, as BobK and I did to me it also shows poor regards for the customer as they keep selling the POS parts.

I guess if I had realized i was talking to a authority on the matter I would have kept my mouth shut. I'm sure you have a lot more experience with these things than I do.

Digger

57larry

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
You did say 57 Chevy rear end? Then the folks at CPP (Classic Performance Products) can certainly give you what you want. The low down is that they just had a couple articles in Rod and Custom on how to ad disc brakes to a Tri-5. You will have to pull the axle shafts out in order to mount the brackets and  such.
Check them out.

Bruce

what months were the articles? thanks

enjenjo

QuoteOne spring I bought a booster from them to replace a failed one and couldn't get things to work right

If you are talking the 7" street rod booster, none of them are much good no matter the source. I've had two problems with them, first they just don't give that much boost, and second, I could never get one to last more than a couple months without failing. I have pretty much switched to a Mustang 8" double diaphram booster, no problems there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteOne spring I bought a booster from them to replace a failed one and couldn't get things to work right

If you are talking the 7" street rod booster, none of them are much good no matter the source. I've had two problems with them, first they just don't give that much boost, and second, I could never get one to last more than a couple months without failing. I have pretty much switched to a Mustang 8" double diaphram booster, no problems there.

Frank the ones that BobK and I had were the 8" dual diaphragm. The lack of boost is why I wouldn't use or recommend an aftermarket booster. They give very poor braking