700r4 tranny lockup woes

Started by entodad, August 17, 2004, 03:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

:shock:  I just installed a 89 700r4 that I rebuilt into my 92 surburban.  It works great, but the convertor fails to lockup. This is my first tranny rebuild and it works perfectly except for the convertor problem.

In the rebuild I did the normal rebuild kit with steels, installed an alto 9 clutch 3-4 clutch pack, a 0.500 tv boost valve, New bearings front to back and a new lockup convertor.  cooler lines were flushed with carburator cleaner and lots of air until the fluid ran clean.  

I am suspicious of the electrical components in the pan.  either the solenoid, the temperature switch (silver switch on the bottom of the valve body) or the 4th gear pressure switch.  When I check the case connector I get 12 volts to the hot lead and there is continuity between the hot terminal and the ecm pulse connector wire.   How do I test these components without dropping the pan or is this possible?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance
entodad
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

Did you swap the electrics over from the original tranny?

did you check the configuration of the original electrics?

Does the lock up valve in the pump move freely against the springs on it?

Did you test the lock/up solenoid for function and holding pressure?

I imagine the pan needs to come off.

Quote from: "entodad":shock:  I just installed a 89 700r4 that I rebuilt into my 92 surburban.  It works great, but the convertor fails to lockup. This is my first tranny rebuild and it works perfectly except for the convertor problem.

In the rebuild I did the normal rebuild kit with steels, installed an alto 9 clutch 3-4 clutch pack, a 0.500 tv boost valve, New bearings front to back and a new lockup convertor.  cooler lines were flushed with carburator cleaner and lots of air until the fluid ran clean.  

I am suspicious of the electrical components in the pan.  either the solenoid, the temperature switch (silver switch on the bottom of the valve body) or the 4th gear pressure switch.  When I check the case connector I get 12 volts to the hot lead and there is continuity between the hot terminal and the ecm pulse connector wire.   How do I test these components without dropping the pan or is this possible?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance
entodad
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

entodad

The short answers are
No
No
Don't Know
Don't Know
the pan is coming off this weekend.
Doug

Quote from: "Crosley"Did you swap the electrics over from the original tranny?

did you check the configuration of the original electrics?

Does the lock up valve in the pump move freely against the springs on it?

Did you test the lock/up solenoid for function and holding pressure?

I imagine the pan needs to come off.

Quote from: "entodad":shock:  I just installed a 89 700r4 that I rebuilt into my 92 surburban.  It works great, but the convertor fails to lockup. This is my first tranny rebuild and it works perfectly except for the convertor problem.

Thanks in advance
entodad
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)