Ebay, and a new phone scam

Started by enjenjo, May 15, 2012, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A new twist on eBay that does not involve eBay.

Since late 2011, I've been receiving bogus calls on my cell phone about political surveys. They are NOT surveys on politics , they are scammers.

In 2012 I've been receiving phone calls from the 360 area  code from scammers. That is Washington state

Now.... late this evening I receive a phone call (not answered by me) 408-376-7400 .. This is an number for eBay in San Jose.  A voice message was left by a robo caller. The message is : "Push # if you are expecting this call"

In research, I have learned this is just a scam via phone rather than email to trick you to give up security information to a scammer.

These scammers use machines  that put any phone number they want into the Caller ID system display on your phone

So... IF any body calls my cell phone and that number is not in my phone list or recognized by me, I send it to voice mail.  What a PITA these modern thieves are
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

i just got emailed this scam...  i am planning on replying that my facebook investment payed off and i am not just sending 2K but $100K for a wonderful vacation..

that should really get them excited and bothering the western union reps why cannot you find my money.. i want a refund..    notice they want a scanned copy of your receipt .. so they can get a full refund... so they are cutting western union out also..

I hope you get this message right on time.Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip to Malaysia for a program,I am having some difficulties currently all because I lost my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money, credit card and cellphone were kept,and now my passport and my luggage are been held down by the hotel management pending I make my payments.
I need you to help me with a loan of 2,000 to pay for the hotel bills and to get myself back home. I've been to the embassy and Police, but they are not responding to the matter effectively, I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I will return the money back to you as soon as I return, let me know if you can be of any help? ASAP. I don't have a phone where I can be reached. I am so confused right now.
Please you can send the money through Western Union Money Transfer so I will get it immediately here.Please help me transfer the money as soon as you can.
Here are the details needed for the transfer below,

Receiver's Name: Trish Flowers
City: Subang jaya
State: Kuala Lumpur
Zip Code: 64700

Please get back to me with a scanned copy of the receipt given to you by Western Union as soon as you have the money sent,probably help me write out the Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN),Sender's Name & Address.
Thank you

Canuck

We got a similar E-mail as the one that Wayne posted.  Poster had hacked the e-mail addresses of a cousin in Ohio and sent a similar e-mail to everyone on her list.  Instead of Malasia they used Scotland as the country that she was vacationing in, which made it ALMOST believable.  When we tried e-mailing her, found her e-mail had been shut down due to problems caused by the hacker.  Took her months to get things cleared up.

The whole thing was very believable and the only flag was the question:  Why would she be e-mailing me, in Canada and not her husband in Ohio or daughter in California.

As they say on the cop shows "Be Careful Out There".

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

wayne petty

just got another one..

Subject: Your parcel is expecting of receiving
Reply-To: "FedEx Service" <delivery.item@fedex.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 05:09:34 +0800 (CST)

Content-Type:text/html;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Postal notification,

We couldnâ•˙t deliver your parcel.
Reason deny:Wrong data delivery.

LOCATION OF YOUR ITEM:Seattle
PARCEL STATUS: not delivered
SERVICE: Standard Shipping
Parcel number:U773281972NU
INSURANCE: Yes

Label is enclosed to the letter.
Print your label and show it at the post office.

An additional information
If the parcel isnâ•˙t received within 30 working days our company will have the right to claim compensation from you for it's keeping in the amount of $3.35 for each day of keeping of it.

You can find the information about the procedure and conditions of parcels keeping in the nearest office.

Thank you for your attention.
FedEx Logistics Services.

this came with a ZIP file at the bottom to click on..

it would have installed a virus that would have taken control of my computer....