GM style Flaming River coulumn

Started by Okiedokie, May 13, 2012, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Can someone tell me which is the correct sequence of installation of the cam canceler/horn contact, GM column exploded view showing spring under canceler, or Flaming River picture showing on top of canceler?

wayne petty

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Can someone tell me which is the correct sequence of installation of the cam canceler/horn contact, GM column exploded view showing spring under canceler, or Flaming River picture showing on top of canceler?

got pictures????

i am taking this is a non KEY column...

i looked around..  since FR is using saginaw column parts..

some applications might need a spring below and another above the turn signal cam/horn contact ring..

got a model number off the instructions.. ????

pictures of the parts also...

Okiedokie

Thanks Wayne, it is Flaming River model 20022. I tried to include pictures, although I post pictures on many other sites, I have not been able to master this one. Sorry. In a picture in Flaming Rivers catalog they show the spring on after the canceler, no picture or instruction included with the column instructions. Joe

wayne petty

hmm... no key.... tilt... and a column shift...

hmm.... i guess they don't have any tear down diagrams on their web site... since that looks like a Chevy van column from the early 70's when the key was still on the dash board.. i might be able to find it..

post your pictures to photobucket.   when saved.. hover your cursor over the picture you want to select... a menu will drop down..  select the 4th link down.. just click and it will copy.. then paste that here.. it will begin with img and end with img

it will then show up...  thats the easy way..

perhaps this will help..

wayne petty

this might be too early a picture...

Okiedokie

Thanks Wayne. Looks like that answers the question, on top in non-tilt, under in tilt. Thanks once again for all the good info you always post. Joe

Okiedokie

After a second call to Flaming River I found the problem. The first call I told the tech the problem getting the horn to work properly with the Vintique wheel. No help. This time I asked about the spring belonging above or below the canceler. When I told this tech about the horn problem he said to check the head of the screw that holds the TS lever in place for contact with the horn ring on the bottom of canceler. Sure enough it was touching, ground the head of the screw down some, bingo got a good working horn. Thanks again Wayne for the education. Joe

Okiedokie

One more update. After the modifaction of the screw head I discovered that trying to install the spring below the canceling cam had mushroomed it enough to allow it to be forced to low on the shaft when tightning the steering wheel nut [not me, the other one] it jammed the ring down on the screw head. I called FR to ask what the original GM application was so I could go by another locally. Tech asked my address and said one was on the way, no charge. Not a big dollar item, but still great customer service.