The TAR-MAC BFMR is ready for Bonneville!

Started by av8, August 06, 2004, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

8)
Vern Tardel, Larry MacKenzie, and Ed Binggeli spent a day at Flowmaster with the TAR-MAC roadster on the dyno. It was time well spent with several correctable conditions highlighted and another that simply has to be lived with this years.

Several tweaks to the injection system, including a little bit of replumbing and reducing airflow by half, made some substantial gains in horsepower. The huffer is producing 15 psi boost, and the alcohol flow above 4000 rpm is too much for the old mag. A new MSD crank trigger system is recommended, but there is neither time nor dollars to get it done this year.

The solution is to run the motor at 4000 rpm, which was the test speed, to avoid putting out the fire. But it's not all bad . . .

The little 276 incher developed 421 horsepower and 411 lb-ft of torque. Rear-wheel output is 356 hp -- certainly enough to get the record back and then some. Keith built a very slippery little roadster, and with a first-rate ignition system next year it could very likely earn someone a red cap.

You'd never guess it just spent a day spinning a dyno again and again. No leaks, no damage, and compression right on spec . . .

1FATGMC

Hey Mike it looks great and I'll bet it sounds great.  Thanks for the update.  Nice numbers for a flathead.

It will be good to see you soon,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good, probably sounds good.

I look forward to kicking the tires on it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

av8

Quote from: "Crosley" looks good, probably sounds good.

I look forward to kicking the tires on it.

Don't kick too hard, Tony. They're pretty thin! :lol:

Cword

It feel sooo good to be ready to go doesn't it.

See you guys next weekend!  

Mike
gone roadsterin'
--

av8

Quote from: "Cword"It feel sooo good to be ready to go doesn't it.

See you guys next weekend!  

Mike
gone roadsterin'

As you guys know by now, I'm not going to be there this year, not physically anyway. I'm there in spirit for sure. As I write this I know the Tar-Mac pits are all set up and the car has already passed Tech. This is visiting time, meeting up with old friends you haven't seen since last year.

All the best to you and your crew, Mike. I'm lookin' forward to seeing the width of your grin after your first licensing pass! I asked Dave to document it!

There's always next year . . .

Mike