EMERGENCY BRAKE HANDLE

Started by vso737, February 11, 2012, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

Thanks for the input.

The Mustang brake handle is quite a bit cheaper than what Speed Shops sell. As a last resort I will buy new from "National Parts Depot" since they are only 3 miles from my house.

I plan on visiting the wrecking yard next week and see what kind of set-up I can come up with.

I was just wondering what a STOCK 1940 Chevrolet Coupe emergency brake handle looks like.

Thanks again,
Mike
:shock:
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

reborn55

They may be the same as 46-48 from what I can tell.  Check ebay and they might have one---I have one on the wall I can take a picture of if needed

vso737

Hi Ken,

I will take you up on your offer.  Can you PLEASE send me a picture of the brake handle............to MYKS_30@roadrunner.com

I removed the speaker that was on the left kick paner, it was also hiding my high beam switch.

I have the brake cables run all the way to the front firewall.  All I need is the handle and to run the cable from the handle to the floor.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

vso737

Hi Ken,

YES.............I saw that one and a couple more.

¿Is yours a 1940 Chevy?

The one you refer to is suppose to be a 1948.  If you look closely, the base for the 3 holes is a little different.

I have a BID right now on EBAY.

Looking forward to seeing your picture.

How does it hook up to the cables below the floor??

Thanks again,
Mike

reborn55

mine is exactly the same as the one on EBAY--it is from a 46-48 chevy---thought they might be close to the same.  
This page shows them as the same if I am reading it right

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_54chevyparts/04/287.HTM

vso737

Hi Ken,

If you look on Ebay, there is also a 1940 Buick, which the seller claims will fit the 1940 Chevy as well. The base attachment, with the 3 holes, is slightly different but that does not mean the holes do not match.

I just removed the kick panel today but did not take a picture of the mounting holes.  I felt the 3 holes where the handle attaches to.

I assume the cable goes from the handle, through the firewall and down to the the brake cables.  Do you know if this attachment from the handle to the floor is with cable or solid bar??

Thanks again,
Mike

enjenjo

Quote from: "vso737"Hi Ken,

If you look on Ebay, there is also a 1940 Buick, which the seller claims will fit the 1940 Chevy as well. The base attachment, with the 3 holes, is slightly different but that does not mean the holes do not match.

I just removed the kick panel today but did not take a picture of the mounting holes.  I felt the 3 holes where the handle attaches to.

I assume the cable goes from the handle, through the firewall and down to the the brake cables.  Do you know if this attachment from the handle to the floor is with cable or solid bar??

Thanks again,
Mike

On a 41 to 48 Chevy, there is a solid rod from the handle to a belcrank on the frame
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "vso737"Hi Ken,

Thanks again,
Mike

On a 41 to 48 Chevy, there is a solid rod from the handle to a belcrank on the frame

yep, it sure does...
and i'm pretty sure i have one
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

reborn55

right again--just took one off my 48 a couple of months ago.