Friday morning update

Started by 348tripower, April 13, 2012, 05:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have looked in a few times but we have been busy with the clean up and rebuild. The princess is getting a bay window to replace the old one. :D
We are also repairing a roof problem on the rear of the house today. These are out of my pocket. :cry:
After four weeks of waiting we got the insurance company estimate. $53000. Our estimate is $81000. The phone calls are flying. I was told on Monday to continue with the repairs and that we were right in line with costs. :?:  So we just waited for a screwing. I am going up the chain of command today. Off to the shower now. Got a long day today.
Don
Don Colliau

phat46

Good that you're making headway, bad that the insurance co. is not doing their part. I know that these companies have to make money, but i wonder how those guys sleep at night after taking peoples money for years and then screwing them over.  :x

Uncle Bob

Your company may be different, but typically you can get reimbursed for any overages from their estimate (til the labor and material are actually purchased that's all their document is) as long as they are documented and like kind and material quality (unless you have a policy that allows depreciation of some items, then you're on the hook for that).  If you're doing all your own labor it's a little harder to get increases in labor charge unless you can document an additional procecure that they didn't include in their estimate.  Receipts for materials are your best friend, though some times you can have a battle over what's like kind and quality.  I went through this a couple years ago with some carpet.  We had put it in just a year before the damage destroyed it.  The estimator under priced the cost of replacement material until I purchased the new at the correct price which was reimbursed for the higher amount difference.

In a worse case scenario you have another weapon if hard negotiating doesn't work and you have good documentation.  Your state insurance commissioner is your ally.  Sometimes, if you convince the insurance company that you are well documented and intend to lodge a formal complaint with the commissioner, they will come around.  Sometimes you actually have to file the formal complaint.  Funny how all of a sudden they come around when they get the inquiry from the commissioner's office.......checks start flying.  That's been my experience anyway.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

58 Yeoman

I guess I missed what happened to your house.  Storm damage, tornado?

In 2010, a huge tree fell on our house, and when I called State Farm, they said to take pictures, etc.  They then told me that I could pay my deductible, and THEY would contact a restoration company that they use, and they would take care of the rest (if I wanted them to).  That company subbed out the repair work, and I didn't have to worry about any of it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Phil ...
I sent you a PM .....

Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

348tripower

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I guess I missed what happened to your house.  Storm damage, tornado?

In 2010, a huge tree fell on our house, and when I called State Farm, they said to take pictures, etc.  They then told me that I could pay my deductible, and THEY would contact a restoration company that they use, and they would take care of the rest (if I wanted them to).  That company subbed out the repair work, and I didn't have to worry about any of it.

Tornado.
I called the adjusters supervisor on Friday. I told him that I expected the house to be repaired, the contractors to be paid and at no cost to me. We seem to have some cooperation now. He said to keep making the repairs so I reminded him that it was their responsibility to make the payments to the contractors.
Roof should be finished Monday weather permitting. Electrical repairs should be completed too. I learned that there is 10 percent of the policy value for bringing the dwelling up to current codes.
But as I sit here this Sunday morning it is raining cats and dogs. Going to get a shower and head over to check for water damage. All the gutters have been removed so I expect water in the basement. :(
Don Colliau

purplepickup

I don't have access to internet up north but have been catching up here and it sounds like you've been blessed with lots of help from friends, neighbors, and strangers.  

Your house looked pretty bad Don but from what I saw of pics of the town's damage, I'd say you can thank your lucky stars that you weren't hit worse and you are still around to be dealing with it.  

It's good to hear the insurance company seems to be coming around but it's too bad you've got to pressure them......like you've really had the time to deal with it, on top of everything else.  Hang in there bud.
George

Digger

Quote from: "purplepickup"I don't have access to internet up north but have been catching up here and it sounds like you've been blessed with lots of help from friends, neighbors, and strangers.  

Your house looked pretty bad Don but from what I saw of pics of the town's damage, I'd say you can thank your lucky stars that you weren't hit worse and you are still around to be dealing with it.  

It's good to hear the insurance company seems to be coming around but it's too bad you've got to pressure them......like you've really had the time to deal with it, on top of everything else.  Hang in there bud.

HI GEORGE :!:  :D
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger