99 Ford f150 V6 eng problem!

Started by rooster, March 18, 2012, 05:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Son called me up and told me he was stranded, grabbed a chain and drug him home!

The v6 was about a qt low on oil, and coolant was down (rad has no cap) added a gallon of coolent, He said the temp light a guage read fine! Eng just came to a stop. AND NOW SEEMS TO BE LOCKED IN THAT POSITION!

I have tryed a socket on the crank pully nut with a breaker bar, and it dosent move.

Question is what can I check to see whats going on?
Any idea's!!!

Eng has 240K miles on it!

wayne petty

could be a lot of things...

seized main bearings..  broken timing chain ...

thrown rod jamming stuff up..

some of the  2000 models.. might have come with an OVERHEAD cam 4.2 motor that has timing chains on both ends of the engine.. run off the shaft where the cam would be in the block...

those timing chains are known to break guides and lock up the motor tight..

can you post the 8th and the 10th digit of the vin number..

rooster

VIN 8th =2   10th=X

Thanks Wayne

Guess I'll drain oil and look for broken bits first!

I dont know what to expect if we go junk yard shopping for a engine!

I got the 88 f150 out of mothballs so hes got something to get to work.

wayne petty

cut the oil filter open carefully after draining..

stretch out the pleats.. check for debris..

drain the oil into a CLEAN pan...  after draining it.. pour it through a course paint strainer cone or some screen wire... to search for ground up parts..

i have used a tiny magnet on an antenna wand to fish inside the oil pan through the drain hole.. be careful that you if you are using one of the cheep versions to crimp or remove the magnet from the end and glue it in tight..  i lost one in a pan one day..  

you might also want to pull the spark plugs.. check for damaged tips..

warning.. if the engine locked up solid.. like it threw a rod and stopped the crank instantly.. it may have sheared off the torque converter studs...  allowing the torque converter to spin down to a stop and wear the HUB on the front of the converter down....

you might also while you are under there.. remove the starter..    so you can work the flywheel ring gear teeth with a big screw driver..  back and forth..

rooster

Great info Wayne!

Get started tommoro!

Its a 4.2 v6 did thay have these in the ford cars also?

wayne petty

Quote from: "rooster"Great info Wayne!

Get started tommoro!

Its a 4.2 v6 did thay have these in the ford cars also?

i know they put them in a LOT of various fords...  mustangs.. crown vics.. mostly trucks..

i don't have an interchange book handy...  or an application book... to see what the applications actually are..

you might want to look at the engine prices over at motorcraft.com    i think i saw that as a Ford authorized reman long block at 1600 bucks..

i will check around later..

if you decide to pick up a used one...

you might want to take some time.. hang it on a stand.. tear the heads off..   replace the head gaskets and bolts..  use hylomar on the head gaskets..

replace the timing chain and the cover gaskets along with the water pump..

rooster

Drained the oil, found no piece's in it, very few flakes when run over a magnet!  The plugs were fine, no hits are wetness were found. Pulled the shroud and raditor so we could get to the pully/cranknut from a better position with cheater bar, still no budge! (maybe 1 degree)

Havent pulled starter yet! I'll cut open the filter today!

I think we can "throw the towel in" on this one! The price for parts are out the roof!

parklane

Seems to me that the first 4.2s were trash. I have a 97 F150 with a 4.2 that has under 60k miles that's done. Also have a 02 F150 with same engine/trans that has about 100k miles and runs like a champ. Have had a few with the newer 4.2 and never had a problem. Those engines aren't cheap, least not up here.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??