Air for a '37 Ply.

Started by ragdol, March 08, 2012, 11:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

I am building a '37 Plymouth coupe resto rod. I'm using a '55 Dodge hemi, & want to keep the engine looking old timey, cloth covered wires, generator, no power steering pump, & no compressor. My question is how do the hybrid cars run their compressors? Is it feasible to retro fit their system to have air? I do know Prius is out, they use 230V AC. It has been suggested that I could use a refrigerator compressor with an AC motor run by a power invertor. Is that really an option? Thanks, Larry

wayne petty

ac is out of my line of knowledge.. but searching out info is right up it..

http://askpete-hella.com/2011/09/18/electric-drive-refrigerant-compressor/

this is on the new style electric compressors ..

its just a start...

Harry

It looks like this unit needs very high voltage to run it. Is that correct?

kb426

I've noticed that some people are hiding the compressor below the crank centerline. Maybe that's a possibility for you.
TEAM SMART

ragdol

I prefer not to have anything hanging on the engine if I don't have to. The Prius is very high voltage, am looking to learn about other makes requiring less.

enjenjo

There are some 12 volt compressors made for use in truck sleepers. I am not sure if they are large enough to cool a car, but you can find them on Google.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

Thanks for the tip on sleeper compressors. The coupe can't be much bigger than a sleeper, maybe smaller than some of the queen sized ones. Larry

BFS57

Hello;
Well, shot yourself down except two things I know.
1. window AC (swamp Cooler)
2. Some modern cars have solar cells on the roof to power the AC units.

Bruce

Harry

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Well, shot yourself down except two things I know.
1. window AC (swamp Cooler)
2. Some modern cars have solar cells on the roof to power the AC units.

Bruce

Both of which are ugly.
A solar panel on the roof to supply 12volts? I think a battery should do something similar.

ragdol

Found 12VDC compressors for sleepers on net. My question now would be how many BTUs would be required to cool the coupe. Looking at one that is about 3000BTUs. Larry

enjenjo

Using an online calculator, about 2400 to 2700BTU/Hr
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

Thanks for all your suggestions & info. This site's brain trust never ceases to amaze me. Larry

2rods

Can you post the link?

ragdol

If you're wanting the link to the 12v compressor, I just Googled sleeper compressor. I am currently getting info from a Peterbuilt shop on one they sell that they mount under the mattress. It's made by Night.