Getting ready to learn a new skill

Started by WZ JUNK, January 06, 2012, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I traded for an Consew Industrial upholstery machine.  It was sold used to an employee of a local furniture factory when they replaced the machine.  I have 3 friends that were sewing machine mechanics at the factory and so I will ask them to help me make sure it is set up correctly.  If I find that I can not sew, I will just sell the machine.

I bought it to do the interior in a car I have been working on for years.  I built the suspension, did the drivetrain instal, the bodywork and paint, I will be doing the wiring soon, and then the interior.  Pretty much the whole project myself.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Danimal

Very cool. Something I've always wanted to do as well.

Flipper

Congratulations on having the balls to try sewing!

I am eventually going to try it also.

GPster

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I bought it to do the interior in a car I have been working on for years.  John
That Chevy for your wife? You'll be learning to do convertable tops. I'd let you practise on the Jeepster. GPster

butch27

That's one thing I wish I knew how to do.

Crosley.In.AZ

Watch where your fingers are at when you push the loud pedal on that machine.  My wife's Nakajima industrial machine is a sewing muther
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rrumbler

Sewing is not real hard when you take your time and think about what you want to accomplish, and how things fit together; a goodly amount of the work is done inside out.  I have been sewing since I was a teenager; sometimes I do real good, sometimes it does me in.  Just be sure to watch where your fingers are when you are trying to hold something together and feed it through the foot and claw, especially with that big machine, or you could wind up sewing one of them into the piece you're working on.  I have nipped my fingers a few times, but nothing too serious; my Grandma, though sewed right over one of her fingers, and got the needle stuck in the joint right behind the finger nail.  When it healed up, that joint was locked and set at a 45 degree angle.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

Very cool....

stitch in time.. ...

a few mods you might find handy...

#1 thats a great size sewing table.. but.. you may find.. that you need to extend it ... a pair of door hinges.. and a old hollow core door section.. or a solid core section the same thickness or shim the hinges so when you mount it to the back side of the table.. and tilt it up.. that you can get another 28 to 34 inches of length to sew long pieces and get the seams straight..  as you won't be fighting the material..   a friend used some old air hockey table board and the blower to float the material on the extensions..   NOT the main table..  made it really easy to sew long pieces without help..   a foot switch to turn the blower on. or off..

build it up out of plywood..   create it as a free standing table... with latches..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tip #2...  look at the foot pedal...  where it pivots to apply the clutch.. drill another hole in the table in front of the reverse lever.. mount a 1/8 inch pipe flange and nipple under the table as a rod guide...   build a second foot pedal of some design.. spring loaded ... this allows you to use a foot to reverse the feed.. so you can lock the sticking without letting loose of the material..

wayne petty

a very late edit..

sticking should be stitching ...

and the reverse pedal will probably need to be on the left side of the engage pedal.. ...  so a LONG rod will need to be bent with springs and guides to keep it aligned...

or a push pull cable..  rigged for the reverse lever... with something as simple as a cable operated hot rod throttle pedal..

taxpyer

Soooooooooo,,,,,,,,,, how about a pic of the project? Sewing is cool. 8)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

58 Yeoman

Cool...You'll probably have it down pat just about the time my '41 is ready for an interior... 8)
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Ohio Blue Tip

Go for it John.  Several years ago (OK more years than that) I made side curtains for my T, used an old Sears machine.  They weren't real pretty but they were water proof.  That was my first sewing job and zipper attempt so I'm sure you will catch on quickly.  I'll be watching.

Ken
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

3 weeks ago I bought the Consew portable. I believe you'll find that the secret is in the preparation just like any fabbing. Yours is the real deal and mine is a half step determined by no space for the full size machine. I have all the faith that you will be successful.
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Now you got the sewing machine, I'll buy the materials if you "practice" on my "ratty" old Chevy! You can't make it look any worse!! Needs seats and Door panels!

Bruce