Happy New Year to all and a bit of a warning

Started by 348tripower, January 01, 2012, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

We dodged the bullet last Monday. I was working on a 98 Chevy 1500. Got the torch out to cut off a exhaust pipe and WOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! instant fire.
We had another truck in the week before and rinsed the engine out with diesel fuel. Got some on the floor and it soaked into the cement.
We used up a 10lb co2 extinguisher and a 5lb dry chemical. My nephew had the presence of mind to grab the hose. That finally put it out. It really didn't burn but a hose or two on the truck and a bit of power steering fluid that had leaked out.
What an eye opener.
So the extinguishers are refilled and I am ordering 2 more 10lb units for the shop and one for here in the house. These are a necessity. I have the room to add a water hose at each end of the building and that will happen next week. Can't rely on the exterior hose in the winter.
Lucky I am.
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

glad you are OK..

one thing.  you might think about a tee adaptor at the hose bib connection where the hose hooks up.. with a way to hook a shop air hose to..  so when done with the water.. turn off the faucet.. and hook up the shop air hose to blow the residual water from the hose..  so it does not freeze.. oreillys sells air tank fill valves that do this without leaking when the hose is on..

you might also want to think about after grinding the cracks open and filling the deep crack with some hydraulic cement..  properly prepping the floor and epoxy coating it.. as that will prevent liquids from soaking in..   not that it will ever happen again...

there are also concrete sealers that can be mopped on..  really easy to do..  available at cash and carry type of stores ..

a secret that i heard about many many years ago... sodium silicate... blended into the top coating concrete blend for gas stations.. this make the surface hard and resistant to liquids or fuel soaking in..  where you could mop  up fuel spills..  this is the nice cement work from gas stations of decades past..   i was never able to find out how much to put in..  and please talk to the concrete supplier about it..

these are just ideas....

Crosley.In.AZ

wow... fire is never a good thing when  it happens like that!

Never would think diesel would flame up from soaked into concrete

I've got 3 fire extinguishers in my shop
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

taxpyer

Thanks for that warning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! :wink:   Just before Xmas I thought I'd nip out to the shop and drain the gas tank on my '47 willys :roll: .
Well, lots of planning, containers, funnel, lots of room to work, clean floor etc. Got under there and undid the convenient plug and boom, the fuel pushed the plug from my fingers and the plug fit perfectly inside the funnel plugging it tight, gas all over me, I crawled out, gas running every where, threw a whole bag of floor dry under the jeep to sop up the still running gas. It was a very intense 3 minutes let me tell you.
When I was cleaning up the floor dry I noticed that my trouble light had fallen down and was on the floor still on. Thank God that I got rid of my old bulb type light a few years ago because I surely would have had an explosion if the bulb would have burst from the fall.
So if you still use those old arm-burners get rid of them.......... I'm sure glad I did.
Even though I have four 10lb extinguishers in the shop in this instance they would have been useless.
A safe and happy new year to you all.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later