headrests

Started by vso737, January 11, 2012, 09:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

Has anyone ever installed headrests on bucket seats that did NOT come with them.

Back in the '60s it was real popular to add headrests to cars with bench seats.  I can NOT locate a vendor for that style headrest.

Been thinking of getting a set from a wrecking yard.................

Just wondering if anyone has tackled this in the past.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa226/vso737_2007/640by480PATIS40862copy.jpg
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

Carnut

Heh, heh, 'back in the day' the 70's I put aftermarket headrests on my 31 Ford Seat and the buckets in my 67 Dodge Charger.

'In The Day' they were readily available at most any auto parts store. Generally the attachment was just two long pieces of chromed spring strap handing down that was inserted into clamps that were screwed into the seat back. With a knob on a screw in the clamp the height was adjustable by setting the height were you wanted it and then turning the knob to screw down on the inserted straps.

I highly doubt they were in any way useful, I put them in for appearance because it was 'cool' in the day.

On my Charger I had to drill into the seatbacks and screw the clamps onto them. After I got tired of them both the look and the feel, I removed them and covered up the holes by installing pullstraps onto the bucket seat backs.

The aftermarket rests generally came with a flat vinyl cover., but on my Coupe the wife got into sewing leather and she dig a roll and pleat job on them.

Doubt this helps you much, but it gave me the chance to relive some history from 'back in the day'.

Heh, heh, here's a pic of the original store bought head rests.

This was even before headrests were mandated in cars from the factory.

vso737

Quote from: CarnutHeh, heh, 'back in the day' the 70's I put aftermarket headrests on my 31 Ford Seat and the buckets in my 67 Dodge Charger.

Those round headrest are exactly what I'm talking about.

¿Do you still own the '31 Model A?  Great looking ride.  I'm building a '30 Sport Coupe and I'm making my own headrests for the bench seat.

For the '40 Chevy buckets I will visit a wrecking yard and see what I can muster up to fit.

Thanks for the "trip down memory lane" and the pictures.

Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"