GM 4L60 transmission

Started by vso737, December 17, 2011, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

I have a 1993 GM 4L60 transmission with numbers:
"3 P F M 1 6 1 P"

The " P F " is suppose to designate the MODEL.

¿Does anyone know what MODEL " P F " stands for??

Thank you in advance,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. I moved your post to the main board where you are more likely to get a reply. Why not do a post telling a bit about yourself?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

teal32

I think this is correct, but it's been a long time since I checked mine....Here's a pic to help, maybe.

(1) Model Year (9 = 1999)
(2) Model
(3) Julian Date
(4) Don't remember what this one is. sorry
(5) Shift Built (A, B, J = First Shift; C, H, W = Second Shift)
(6) Serial Number
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

teal32

Off the top of my head, if the 4th digit is a "D", then it is a 4L60E, and if it's an "M", it's a 700R4 (which became the 4L60).
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

Crosley.In.AZ

I am not familiar with the PF designation in the USA market.  1993 is a cross over year.

The F body cars and Corvette had 4L60 trans with a TV cable and a round 5 pin connector near the shift shaft on the left side of the case.  

The trucks, vans , SUV vehicles had the 4L60E trans ( no TV cable).. with a connector on right side about 1.25 inch diameter

The other light duty GM vehicles were FWD

If you are sure it is a 1993 4L60 with a TV cable, then it came out of a F body or Corvette.  The corvette trans would have a special tail housing design, the out put shaft is shorter about 5/8 of an inch
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

vso737

Hi, first I want to thank you for the quick response and information shared.
I also want to apologize for giving the WRONG info.  I decided to photograph the ID # to verify and was not surprised how the stamping was done. It appears to me that the number is :  3 B F M 1 6 1 B

Since last posting, I have also found out it came off of a TRUCK do to the MD8 stamped on the body.

I'm still trying to found out the designation for " B F ", I guess what truck it came off of.

Thanks again,
Mike

P.S.- tried to post a few pictures. NOT cleared yet for that function.
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

Dusty

I just had one of these overhauled.  I found out that they only made them in '93 and'94.  Mine is in a '94 pickup.  I thought maybe I could find one in a wreck, but found out real soon that they are hard to find around here.  I just went ahead and got mine O'hauled.  I could't use a 700-r4 because of the computer control that has everything connected.  

Gud Luk...
Dusty
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

hotrodbob

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this, but that trans was also used in the Isuzu/Chevy/GMC cab over trucks that were 350 Chevy powered and used the trans and 350 engine even after GM stopped using it in P-ups and cars.
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/