our trailblazer fan problem

Started by BFS57, November 14, 2011, 08:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I just replaced our 02 Trailblazer water pump, fan clutch, and tensioner. Everything seemed fine until recently. Now, it seems the fan clutch (controlled via computer) is not working right and making noises like the rods are coming loose.
I know this problem is inherent in this vehicle. Does any one have any ways to fix this problem? I wonder if I just take the fan part off and put in a set of electric fans would this eliminate this problem? What about where the present fan clutch plugs into the computer? Could I (or should I) dis connect the fan clutch connector and spray some cleaner in it or put some dielectric grease there for better connection.

Bruce

wayne petty

take the fan belt off.. and verify that the rods are not coming loose...

there is a trailblazer on you tube. where they removed the transmission  and started the engine..  it was making terrible sounds

but it could have been a some kind of cross firing from the ignition system..

a crank position  sensor hitting the reluctor..  

random crank timing signals sent to the ecm causing the system to trigger improper spark timing..  

i did some research last night and found some people complaining of defective fan clutches..    

so. the easy thing is to remove the belt and see what happens..

post results..  or post a video of it to youtube or photobucket..

and.. do you have any kind of scan tool..  to check for codes.. or an advanced scan tool that is bidirectional that can be used to activate the fan clutch and deactivate it for testing..

did you install a GM or delco fan clutch.. or one of the after market versions available???

the fan clutch image..
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/cwa/922498/image/4/

i wonder if oiler might have more info on this..

wayne petty

some trailblazer noise videos

&feature=related

and just for fun...

six turning and four burning..

&feature=related

BFS57

Hello;
Wayne, those video clips remind me of how my TB sounded before I changed the  water pump, fan clutch and tensioner. Unfortunately for me, I didn't change the AC compressor and I have discovered this time, that needs to be changed as well!! Another $500.00!
Because this is the wife's car, it has to be "perfect". I took it to a shop down the road from us and he told me the AC compressor is bad.
I can't really complain the vehicle has over 150k miles on it! Cheaper than monthly payments.
When I did the last job on it I purchased parts from NAPA. Hope those last a long time as the previous ones replaced under warranty by Chevrolet didn't last worth a darn!

Bruce

wayne petty

compressor clutches and pulleys are not impossible to change ..

just care is needed..  if the compressor is gone.. thats a lot more..

you might want to invest in one of these automotive stethoscopes..

they are on sale this week for 2 bucks..

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

10 bucks at az stores..

BFS57

Hello;
Picked up the TB today! The replacements were as follows; A/C Compressor, A/C Accumulator, and Orifice Tube,  I know I couldn't of done the job! TB A/C works great now! it should for $622.85. You know how everything ads up!
The Wife is happy! She even washed the thing when she drove it home!
She's happy, I'm Happy!

Bruce