New EFI from MSD

Started by rumrumm, November 03, 2011, 09:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

Now, this one I may be interested in if the reviews are good. The thing about fuel injection that has been holding me back is the need for a return line to the tank. This one does not require one. I did not see a price--probably cashy like all the others.

http://www.atomicefi.com/
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Uncle Bob

Lynn, at SEMA they're quoting  msrp around $2300 for the full package; throttle body, harness, fuel pump, filter, fuel line, ox sensor and programing module.  It self "learns" in use.  They're shooting for first of the year release to retail.

Jim Shelton has a preproduction version on his '32 roadster (not the Baskerville car) and says he's really liking it.

The ECM is mounted to the throttle body, hidden under a cover that resembles a float bowl.  The harness is very small compared to most.  It's a MAF system.  Pump is external to the tank.  All of those points in addition to the single fuel line you mentioned make it a very clean retrofit to an existing carbureted system that may not have a tank plumbed for return.  The cleanliness of the installation is what impressed me, and the MSD reps say the #1 positive comment they've been receiving is that no laptop programing is involved (might be old fart computer anxiety? :lol: ).
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

rumrumm

Thanks, Bob. I will be saving my pennies and keeping my eye on this one.
Lynn
'32 3W

sirstude

Looks neat, but is it just another version of the Retrotek unit that has been around for the last 10 or 15 years under various names?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

I'm at the library in my daughter's town using her library card to get on their computor. After I saw the site I figured out how to plug in the earphones and I played it. Looks good. Maybe I should walk back to her house and get my hearing aid. Looks simple enough. I'm surprise that there doesn't show anything more with the ignition. Where does the distributor advance come from? Is it all from that one wire going to the coil and the only thing the distributor is for is the cap and rotor? GPster

jaybee

That's a good looking unit, could be the answer for people who don't want to go with a multiport solution for whatever reason.

The Taurus I had so much trouble with at the beginning of the year had a what I considered a good solution for the fuel supply.  The fuel filter had 2 "inlets" and 1 outlet.  One of the inlets actually led back to a fuel pressure regulator integrated into the fuel basket assembly.  Instead of reducing the pressure going toward the engine or serving as a variable restriction at the end of the fuel rail it just dumps excess volume/pressure back into the tank.  The same thing could be done with a T in the fuel line, though I'm not sure what sort of regulator you'd use to reproduce this system for a rod.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Hope it works as well as promoted.

We had a company bring in a new electronic transmission controller system in.. this thing was suppose to be  easy, did everything but make breakfast, tech support available for quick answers

First system we installed ..... nothing but problems, trouble codes, no shifts, then stacked shifts.  Tech support = LOL , we were telling them some items that were wrong that  tech support  did not know about.

Instructions wrong on setup number specs.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Unlike some other systems that use readily-available sensors, this unit seems to have a lot of components which are only available through them.

If I am reading their info correctly, no fuel return line is needed because they are using a pulse-width-modulated fuel pump to regulate the fuel pressure.  ....Price & availability of a replacement pump may be an issue.

There is not much detailed info available at there website.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

rumrumm

From another source who spoke to MSD people at SEMA, the price is supposed to be around $2300 while the FAST and other systems are around $1800-1900. That is still more attractive to me than the full multi-port systems from Edelbrock and Holley that run over $3000.
Lynn
'32 3W