Dog tracking

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, October 01, 2011, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I was cruising down a two lane road today and overtook a 70's/80's Ford pickup. It didn't appear to be physically damaged but as I came from behind it was dog tracking so bad that I could see all 4 tires and the passenger side from the drivers side of my car.

Doesn't that give the driver vertigo or make him sterile or something else bad? He had to have been turned partly sideways in the seat to see out the front.

Worst case I ever saw. There must be some strange sensation driving something like that.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I had a 62 Ford F250 4x4. The front axle on them was set 2" to the left from the factory. It looked like it was dog tracking, but it wasn't. By the 70s, Ford quit doing that.

I had a rust bucket Chevy II that dog tracked, it drove fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

I bought my 77 Chevy Silverado SWB Pickup brand new.

It drove like a dream, never felt any problems with it for a year or two.

Then one day someone who had followed me a bit asked me if I knew it was dog tracking down the road.

Well of course I hadn't noticed but then out came a tape measure and one side was off by a couple of inches.

Went back to the dealer I bought it from and complained a little bit.

Was told 'not my problem', so I complained a little bit more to the area rep. He said bring it back in and he would inspect it.

It was obvious that nothing had been done to the truck since new, everything underneath was clean as new.

They took the truck back into the shop and the rep came out and said Chevy would fix it.

Turned out the center bolts in one of the springs was off by a couple inches.

Sure did make wonder abit about how things were being made.

Then again my 67 Dodge Charger came from the factory without any wiring from the trans backup light switch to the rear backup lights, Dealer installed that at no charge.

Friend of mine also has 67/68 Ford Pickup that never had the brake light wiring installed in his truck either, had been driving it for a couple years without brake lights.

wayne petty

i have found on several ford vans and trucks that this forward spring hanger bracket gets bent off center..

usually by impacts either forward going around a corner.. or backing into a curbing...

this picture shows the item upside down...  its mounted in front of the rear  wheels on the outside of the frame rail...

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/dor/722-010-007.jpg

these should be even  where the spring bolt goes through..

not tweaked to one side..

Rrumbler

As to driving a vehicle that "dog tracks", you can get used to just about anything if you do it long enough, or if you never knew different.  Think about driving on the left side of the road as in The British Nations.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

unklian

As long as it is remotely stable, most people would never figure it out.

Especially if it doesn't interfere with their cell phone reception.

Rrumbler

Quote from: "unklian"As long as it is remotely stable, most people would never figure it out.

Especially if it doesn't interfere with their cell phone reception.

That is the real truth.. -- Whole other subject, though. :wink:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.