Alternative gear lube for newer trans

Started by junkyardjeff, September 27, 2011, 07:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

The T-5 I have in my 37 and the 5 speed in my 95 f150 both take ATF and both are noisey,the T-5 was quiet when I installed it and put ATF in it so I am beginning to doubt ATF is a good lube for manual trans,I am going to put 30 weight non detergent oil in the T-5 and see how it does since some of the trans axles in my garden tractors use 30 weight oil so I am thinking oil might be better for manual trans instead of ATF.  I frequent a few truck forums and have read many complaints about the newer manual trans and I never had a manual trans go bad with the usual 90 weight gear lube (unless I severly abused it) so does anyone know of a alternative to ATF for newer manual trans.

Fat Cat

The T-5 in my son's 90 Mustang calls for ATF in the trans.

junkyardjeff

I know they call for ATF but I think there needs to be something better to put in them.

jaybee

You could try something like Royal Purple...they have specialty lubes for manual transmissions.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

DO NOT use gear lube in a T5, the symcronizers are not compatible with gear lube.

What kind of noise do you have? What gears? If a T5 is right, there is no noise with ATF, except for reverse.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

It sounds like the input shaft bearing is making noise in the T-5 and was quiet when I first installed it and one would not think a 235 could hurt one,the trans in the 95 I think is just worn out (230,000 miles) as its hard to shift in a couple gears and 3rd gear syncro is going bad along with being noisey and might get a automatic when it goes. ATF just does not seem to be heavy enough for manual trans even though the OEM has put it in them and I never had bearing issues with the old trans with the heavy lube.

Fat Cat

The use of gear oil in a T-5 will more that likely damage it quickly. The needle bearings, synchronizers and composite gear blockers will not hold up to the heavier oils. The clearances of the gears in the trans are tighter on the T-5 to accommodate the thinner oil and when you put a heavy oil in its place the trans will not push the oil to all the bearings and will eventually burn up the bearing that do not get enough lubrication.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "jaybee"You could try something like Royal Purple...they have specialty lubes for manual transmissions.

A lot of the Mustang guys swear by Royal Purple product but there are some of the T-5's that can not be used with synthetic fluids because it is incompatible with the internal parts.

wayne petty

i have been thinking about this issue for a LONG time...

i have always wondered about TYPE F atf...

as the base oil is slightly thicker than the dextron blends...

Fat Cat

Quote from: "wayne petty"i have been thinking about this issue for a LONG time...

i have always wondered about TYPE F atf...

as the base oil is slightly thicker than the dextron blends...

That might work but I know that my local auto parts stores do not carry Type F any longer. Most of them can't even get it.

Mac

A tech at a trans rebuild shop told me to use a quality 10-30 or 40 motor oil. I posted this to a HAMB thread on "lube for T-5's" and was chastised because MO doesn't have the right polymers and something about bad for glued on friction material.
I have read 70 wt for early T-5 and ATF for late. Some swear by Synth. ATF.
Who\'s yer Data?

junkyardjeff

I will try type F and see what happens.

tomslik

i run Red Line Shockproof in my harley trans...
get yer checkbook out;)
$13.95 qt at summit
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list