Transmission hump

Started by 58 Yeoman, August 05, 2004, 11:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I cut the trans hump out of the Pontiac, as the original flat one didn't clear the th400.  Does anyone know off hand a donor car that would have a center hump that could be cut out that would fit? Or, am I relegated to buying an aftermarket one? TIA.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I cut the trans hump out of the Pontiac, as the original flat one didn't clear the th400.  Does anyone know off hand a donor car that would have a center hump that could be cut out that would fit? Or, am I relegated to buying an aftermarket one? TIA.

I make them out of fiberglass.  Make the part in the car so that it conforms to the shape you need.  I mock up the shape with cardboard, lay down a layer of plastic ( I use contact adhesive to hold the plastic in place).  Lay up the part and after it sets up, I remove it, thow away the plastic and cardboard mold and then trim the edges of the new part.  I like to use nut zerts in the floor so that I can make the tunnel removeable.  This is not necessary but it is helpful at times.   This was a quick description of how I make a tunnel.  If you have any questions, just ask.

I am currently doing a similiar project where I am casting air ducts that move air from a trunk mount Vintage Air unit to outlets on the dash.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

sirstude

Phil,

was your Pontiac an automatic?  I have a T400 in my Olds and the factory trans cover clears the bell.  I have everything above the bottom of the frame so I don't think I am lower than you probably are.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Doug, no it was a 6/stick.  I've got the Nova sub with a Caddy 425/400.  The original sit right on top of the main body of the trans. I want to have enough room to pull the trans without moving the engine, if the need arises.

John, I'd never thought of using fiberglass.  I went out to take a couple pix, and I may have solved my own problem.  I set a 3/4" heater hose on top of the trans, then set the cut out tunnel on top of it, and moved it ahead about an inch.  I may just weld in some filler panels in this position.  Will have to do some more thinking on it.

Pic one is self explanatory; two is the panel sitting on top of the trans; and three is pushed forward sitting on a 3/4" hose. I think this might be the way I go.

Phil

GPster

Looks a hell-of-a-lot like the floor in my '53 Chevy. When I cut it up the only thing that was any good was the dome right in front of the drivers seat. I just happened to save it ( it was smaller than a wheelbarrow) in case I ever ennded distributor clearance in a firewall. You want it? I left about 1" around the edges where it was flat for a flange to bolt it flat. GPster

sirstude

Phil,

Your engine sits a couple of inches higher than mine does.  I can take out the upper trans bolts through the transmission opening.  The reason I asked about the original is I wondered if the cover was different than the auto cover, but yours looks like mine.  My tranny mount is a piece of 2x3/8 strap bolted to the bottom of the frame with a little twist to make it sit square to the tranny.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

GPster, thanks for the offer, but I think that I'll be able to attach some metal to this piece pretty easily.  Doug, I've got mine a bit higher so the exhaust manifold would clear the steering box.  My crossmember is two pieces of angle welded, and mounted about half way up the frame.  I've got a rear steer Nova sub.

Phil

sirstude

Mine is a front steer "metric" GM front end.  A set of S&S 55 Chevy Big Block headers fit right between thr frame rails in the old exhaust cutout on the one side.  Had to cut the other one.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us