The stuff some people get away with...

Started by Fat Cat, September 22, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

Attached is a picture pf the mount for a power steering pump on a car currently in enjenjo's shop. What I want to know is how some people get away with stuff like this and I can spend hours engineering a bracket that prevents stuff like this and have nothing but problems with the design.

moose

WELL, the vehicle is in the shop so maybe they did not get away with it.

As far as you spending hours designing a bracket and it still not working you are Polish are you not.....
:roll:

He asks while ducking
:lol:  :wink:

Fat Cat

Oh no its not in the shop because of this bracket. It is in the shop for a motor replacement due to freezing a block last fall.

unklian

Someone told me: "The Lord protects Fools and Drunks."

That might apply here.

wayne petty

just curious..

it looks like a first gen F body.. or a 67 to 72 nova frame..

i noticed that the upper control arms do not have any alignment shims..

are you taking the whole motor out?????/

i did devise a possible trick to check for cracked combustion chambers and cylinder walls with the engine complete...

take the valve core from a compression tester hose.. take the rocker arms off...  use shop air to charge the cylinder via the hose..  or some other way... with the piston at bottom dead center..   you might be able to get away with just loosening the exhaust rocker arms...  if you do it at the bottom of the power stroke..   with a piece of clear vinyl hose on a radiator pressure tester removed from the pump.. and the radiator topped off and this hose part way filled..

if the coolant moves when pressure is applied.. you know that you have a leak... head gasket . combustion chamber or cylinder wall..

i normally do this test with the piston at TDC...   and a remote starter switch to reset the crank as most of the times the engine will spin..

its a quick test to set up in the shop.. and proves to the customer that there is a combustion leak..

wait.. i have gotten off track..

i am thinking about the distance between the upper control arm brackets.. that this car might have crossmember sag...  even slightly...

i have a trick to fix it...   by using all thread sections through where the shock should be to pull the car back to ride height.. so i can do a wheel alignment with the engine out and the sheet metal off...

notice the 30 3/4" measurement D  between the upper control arm mounting brackets..

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Kol30A-iFfw/Ri5huZLwUiI/AAAAAAAAAF8/Zpx-1dV0aEQ/s800/68%20F-Body%20Frame%20Chart.jpg

GPster

Is that the '50 Chevy with the 454? If it is I'd think the torque of the engine would have been hard on the upper "A" frame mount The 350 that's going in it will leave more room for power steering. With less engine maybe he won't need any help turning the steering wheel. GPster

jaybee

Looks like a great solution to me -- the p/s belt can serve as a torque strap to keep the engine in place if you break an engine mount...

:shock:  :?  :roll:  :twisted:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mac

What's the scabbed in bracket under the pump that goes between the frame and crossmember?
Tell me it's part of a steering box mount?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"What's the scabbed in bracket under the pump that goes between the frame and crossmember?
Tell me it's part of a steering box mount?

Bumper mount.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.