I just can't spit the hook out.

Started by Beck, July 23, 2010, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

The #974's guys have got me hooked (like a fish). I thought I had spit the hook out in Feb but I guess it wasn't so. The salt is reeling me in.
I'm studying the Bonneville rule book again. I started a thread in Jan about motors.
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
I didn't follow through with anything at that time. I thought the urge would go away if I didn't act on it. I was wrong again. (thats common, just ask my wife)
My plan up until about 3 weeks ago was to not attend Speed Week. BUT, I'm just starting to make my list of necessities for this years trip. (I just picked up my prescription sunglasses) I am going to ask myself the whole time I'm there this year, "Are you sure this is what you want to do?" If the answer each time I ask the question is "YES!" then I guess when I get back I will have to make some class decisions. Guys on the 974 crew, please keep asking me that question! Please!
I like blown fuel because alcohol is somewhat forgiving with big boost, but the truck classes I am interested in do not have a fuel class, only gas.
There are several open classes in blown fuel rear engine modified roadster, but building one of those would be more difficult since the complete chassis would be hand built. The transmission behind the driver would make shifting more difficult unless it was an auto. I guess most of those guys don't run a rear suspension. They just look a little weird to me.
Building a truck would be much easier since I would be required to use the truck frame and stock body. Blown gas modified truck and modified mini truck both have a open record class.
Gas limites the amount of boost, unlike alky. Hooley uses a supercharger, but we think turbos are the hot setup now. Since I don't have a supercharger I just as well go with a turbo.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Your ideas will give me something to 'check out' while at Bonneville. I want to make a wise decision on class if I go forward with this.
We have talked different motors in the past, but other ideas keep popping into my warped mind. Like late model 4.8 gm truck motors? I also have one floating around this skin head about a big blown fuel motor. There is a diesel thought or two running around in there too. The little Chevy V8 is still making a lot of sense.
If it was all dependent on factory rated stock hp the decision would be easier. But trying to figure out how far each motor can be pushed and what it takes to push it there is mind boggling.

Anyone have an extra hook removal tool to lend me?
Help!

enjenjo

Have you considered one of the LS engines? There are a bunch of sizes, and them make a ton of power with some boost.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Honda K20 motors are way over built, should handle LOTS of boost.

unklian

Charlie Chops 1940

Soooo, why even try to spit it out? Go for it.

Look at a  05-09 Mustang 4.6L 3 valve engine and 5 speed and a roots, centrifical, or turbo setup. You can get 450+ ponies on 93 octane gas with only the blower/intercooler setup. You can cool the intake charge more with methanol/water injection and gain a little more octane.

Just thinking outloud....and adding fuel to the fire.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!