serious question

Started by tomslik, September 07, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Still need the BIG Hammer. :shock:  :shock:

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"This what you want Bob?

THATS the one ...   :!:         Thanks Frank ... 8)

Note in the photo the "BFH" in action.... :shock:

I KNEW some day my crazy "collection" would pay off..... :lol:

Bob ....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"there is that ''J tool'' that tomslik is lookin for .

although , is that the way the assembly line did it?

funny how we're not supposed to use a hammer but,well, there ya go...;)

i'd use a big brass hammer if it was me :lol:

wasn't wanting to start an argument, just curious...
if you think my thinking is weird when taking a wizz, you should be there when i take a dump :shock:

ugly olds, i'll send ya a box of Depends...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Carnut

Yeah, still don't think you all have really answered the original question of how it was done on the engine build line in the factory.

For some reason I would kinda think the balancer would have been put on the crank before it even got near the engine. I know the front cover and seal would have also been part of that assembly.

Then again don't know if that would provide an ungainly routine of putting the timing chain over the crank before placing the crank in the block with the cover rotated out of the way for locating the chain over the cam sprocket.

Well anyhow if the crank is already installed and the timing chain and cover already installed, I would then guess it would be some support at the back of the crank, some temp difference in the pulley and a large press pushing it on.

Probably gonna need a real factory engine builder to get a good answer.

enjenjo

One thing not considered, the overlap between the crank pin, and the rod journal was much more on a 265/283 than any of the later engines. Plus, at the factory they were dealing with all new parts, in ideal conditions. I am sure there was some type of tool that was used to do it, probably pneumatic. As far as that goes, it would be no problem to have a fixture to support the front of the crank during installation, after the front cover was on, but before the pan was installed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.