Wiring a 38 chevy 4 door

Started by RAJ484, August 29, 2011, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJ484

Ok guys...I'm building (with help) a 38 Chevy FOUR door. I want to get power to my rear door windows and the power bear claw latch to open the door.

Id like to use a wire loom or something similar however, the back doors on the 38 open to a full 90 degrees to the body.

The edge of the door is next to the door jam.

I'm not a fan of the contacts that go between the door and the jam cause then nothing in the door works when the door is open.

Anybody found another way to deal with this issue???[/img]
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

wayne petty

you are going to want at lease some silicone test lead wire to embed in your hinges..  silicone test lead wire is really really flexible.. so it will withstand the opening and closing of the doors without wearing out.. i use it for brake light switch wiring repairs on fords..

i think somebody posted some photos of how they did this about 6 months ago...

milling a groove through the hinge.. to drop a wire in..

i wonder... if there are any remote control systems that have individual wireless receivers ... and a small battery in the each door.. that maintains its charge when the door is closed.. but has enough power when the door is open and the door contacts are not connected to power the window..  or door locks..

i would think that if you were in los angeles.. you could call or stop into the MANY .. electronics and alarm stores on 11th and 12th street and central ave in down town...  those 2 blocks have probably a dozen alarm and stereo wholesale suppliers..  

11th Street Electronics  
1109 South Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 142 ft SW
(213) 817-9999 ‎
1 review
"These guys are the best. Always helpful and best prices in town."

ESE Electronics  
1111 South Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 276 ft SW
(213) 614-0102 ‎ · eseelectronics.com

Alpha  
1126 East 11th Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.1 mi W
(213) 688-0306 ‎ · alpha-man.com
Category: Electronics Store

Naomi Electronics  
1146 East 12th Street, Los Angeles, CA 494 ft W
(213) 622-9435 ‎

Champion Electronics Sales Inc  
1158 East 12th Street, Los Angeles, CA 415 ft SW
(213) 489-3410 ‎

Tradion Enterprises  
1148 East 11th Street, Los Angeles, CA 291 ft W
(213) 683-8417 ‎
Category: Electronic Parts Supplier

Sam Music  
1111 East 11th Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.1 mi NW
(213) 617-7229 ‎

A & K Electronics Inc  
970 East 11th Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.2 mi NW
(213) 612-0398 ‎

Marathon  
1113 East 11th Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.1 mi NW
(213) 612-5814 ‎ · marathonpro.com
Category: Electronic Equipment & Supplies-retail

Millionbuy.Com  
950 East 10th Street, Los Angeles, CA 0.2 mi NW
(213) 312-9330 ‎ · millionbuy.com
Category: Electronics Store

might be worth a call.. i know its off thread.. but they might have something to do the job remotely..

enjenjo

The bear claw latch is easy, put the latch in the body, and the pin on the door. No wires needed. You can put an inside release handle on the inside of the body, just behind the door.For the window, what Wayne suggested, a slot milled in the hinge, big enough for two wires. I usually do it on the top edge of the bottom hinge. You can TIG weld a tin cover over it, or use epoxy to fill the slot with the wires in it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I have had these to work well in this type of situation.  I made these in the picture but you can buy them from Specialty Wiper company.  They use a stainless steel spring but a similiar zinc coated spring is avialable in a Harbor Freight tube bending kit.  You would have to buy more than one kit to get the matching springs but they are real cheap at HF.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH