Remanu Chevy heads from TRW?

Started by Mac, August 18, 2011, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I'm looking at a pair of SBC heads on Craigslist. They are claimed to be from TRW but I can't find any on-line reference. Are heads something TRW no longer does? Is it BS? If truely TRW, are they known for decent quality (new springs, guides, etc.)?
TIA
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

TRW used to and still might make engine parts... their engine parts were absorbed into sealed power by federal mogul...   i do see the TRW name pop up once in a while... as they made everything from engine parts to suspension parts to satellites...   and i am NOT talking about a plymouth satellite..

i have never heard that they actually did rebuilding...

if a machine shop has popped up using the TRW name???

you might be paying for cast iron scrap...

be sure to ask for casting numbers off the heads... so you can figure out if they will work for you....

some will work... some are scrap for anything other than the original application..  since they made heads from everything from a 262 to a 400.. you have quite a wide range of stuff. that will bolt on.. but won't work...

Mac

Thanks Wayne
The heads are advert. as 305 HO and in one of the pics I see what looks to be xxxxx601 which would be consistant. I bought, for next to nothing, a striped down 305 for the 416 heads it came with to plop on my 283. The 416 would need a rebuild so these 601's are attractive.

Now I'm thinking of econo building the whole 305 instead for my C-10.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

some reading on the 601 casting... and the 416..

some great pictures of the chambers at the bottom...

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/480844-heads-should-i-run.html