TCI '40 Ford chassie 700-r4 cross member

Started by Learpilot, August 07, 2011, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Definitely looks like a great restart in the Hot Rod Business.

Canuck

Rick

Check for clearance around the top of the trans bellhousing on your 350.  

I found when I put a 700 in my 64 Malibu to replace the 350 I had to do a bit of creative clearancing to the firewall on the passenger side. About 4 to 6 inches from centre.  

Like others mentioned, had to relocate X-mbr about 2" and shorten driveshaft a similar amount.  Was able to use the stock column shift, just can't access "L", but then I never use that setting anyhow.

Watch the cable adjustments.

Canuck

PS: You probably knew this, but a later model S-10 with V6 and 700R uses a converter with the same stall as a Vette but without the Vette $ tag.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Learpilot

Quote from: "Canuck"Rick

Check for clearance around the top of the trans bellhousing on your 350.  

I found when I put a 700 in my 64 Malibu to replace the 350 I had to do a bit of creative clearancing to the firewall on the passenger side. About 4 to 6 inches from centre.  

Like others mentioned, had to relocate X-mbr about 2" and shorten driveshaft a similar amount.  Was able to use the stock column shift, just can't access "L", but then I never use that setting anyhow.

Watch the cable adjustments.

Canuck

PS: You probably knew this, but a later model S-10 with V6 and 700R uses a converter with the same stall as a Vette but without the Vette $ tag.
Thanks for the tip about the 700r4 and the S-10. I think I am for now just going to change the gear ratio of the rear end. With a 8" ford that is real easy, and I have a lot of other projects to do now.
Rick