Classic Instruments GPS Speedo

Started by seadog, August 16, 2011, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I recently changed the transmission in my 5 window and rather than futz around with trying to get the SW Wings speedo calibrated and working with the new trans I bought one of the new Classic Instruments Sky Drive GPS speedo units.  This thing is advertised as working with ANY electric speedometer.  

The first unit didn't work...sent it back and it tested bad.  They sent me a new one, which I'm sure is wired in correctly, but it won't calibrate.  Classic Instruments Tech Support hasn't been much help.  The last guy I talked to today said that the unit MAY not work with a 12 volt square wave speedo.  He suggested I call SW to see if they could tell me how to hook it up.  

Having delt with what purports to be tech support at SW before, I'm turning to you guys first.  Has anybody had experience with this GPS/speedo combination and does anybody have any thoughts, tips, etc as to how to hook it up??

Thanks.

kb426

I'm not much help but as I understand, there is pulse and square wave senders. Is it possible to change the sender?
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

http://thetachman.com/

did you see all the different ways to wire it on this pdf installation and calibration sheet.???

http://thetachman.com/file/skydrive_wiring_diagram.pdf

Calibration Procedure:
Ensure the Sky Drive is connected to the speedometer it is being calibrated for,
and is powered on.
Press and hold the calibration button until the speedometer pointer begins to rise
about 5 seconds).
Continue holding the calibration button until the pointer begins approaching
50mph (80kph).
Release the calibration button and begin tapping it for fine adjustment.
Once the pointer reads as close as possible to 50mph (80kph), release the
calibration button for 5 seconds. The pointer will return to zero. The Sky Drive
now been calibrated.
you pass the target speed, simply allow the pointer to return to zero and try
again. There is no limit to the number of times the Sky Drive can be calibrated.

Learpilot

This is off the main subject, but I have a question about GPS Speedometer. Is it accurate on a hilly road ? The reason I ask  is when we go to a car show I always use my Garmin GPS to find the way. Part of the screen shows Speed and when we go up hill or down the GPS speed will show a slower speed. Sometimes up to 5 to 7 mph. Is this just the navagation GPS that do this and not on GPS speedometer ?
Thanks, Rick

wayne petty

WOW!!!!

next time you talk to a garmin rep about your professional instruments.. i take it that you are still flying.. ask the garmin rep.. or tech..

you might have just come up with a prize winning question..

i wonder if that can be used to beat speeding tickets in court...

it would take a mathmatics professor to show the offset speed do to the change in altitude verses forward motion on a 2 dimensional map..

since maps are drawn in 2 dimensions..

and the GPS is measuring in 3 dimensions..  actually  4 to 7 directions if you count the various GPS signals its counting from.

for some humor.. speed is only relative.. when the cop behind you is your relation ..

another guy got pulled over speeding.. the cop was at the end of his shift.. wanting to get back to the station..  he told the speeder.. come up with a good excuse i have never heard before and i will let you off today..

the guy thought about it..  said .. a few weeks ago.. my wife ran off with a cop.. i saw you behind me and tried to get away as i thought you were trying to bring her back..

Learpilot

Quote from: "wayne petty"WOW!!!!

next time you talk to a garmin rep about your professional instruments.. i take it that you are still flying.. ask the garmin rep.. or tech..

you might have just come up with a prize winning question..

i wonder if that can be used to beat speeding tickets in court...

it would take a mathmatics professor to show the offset speed do to the change in altitude verses forward motion on a 2 dimensional map..

since maps are drawn in 2 dimensions..

and the GPS is measuring in 3 dimensions..  actually  4 to 7 directions if you count the various GPS signals its counting from.

for some humor.. speed is only relative.. when the cop behind you is your relation ..

another guy got pulled over speeding.. the cop was at the end of his shift.. wanting to get back to the station..  he told the speeder.. come up with a good excuse i have never heard before and i will let you off today..

the guy thought about it..  said .. a few weeks ago.. my wife ran off with a cop.. i saw you behind me and tried to get away as i thought you were trying to bring her back..
Our Lears don't have Garmin GPS, we have Universal FMS with GPS interface. Garmin makes great aircraft GPS. I think the speed difference would be the steepness of the hill. I think the Police use line of site , but if they do the hills would skue there speed the same as the GPS except when they are following you.
Rick