Heat and noise insulation

Started by tom36, July 19, 2011, 03:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom36

Anyone have any input good or bad on the peel and stick insulation?  Dynamat is supposed to be for noise, but I see Eastwood has a peel and stick "thermocoustic".  They all look like the same stuff to me.  Also, any idea on how many Square feet to do a Model A coupe?  Thanks, Tom...

kb426

I used Ram audio mat that came in a roll on the firewall of my 32, I have 2 layers of that and 2 layers on LOW E brand microcell foam. I used home made coolcar ceramic insulation on the top of the floor and a layer of Ram under the floor. If you're model a is the same as my 32, there's no such thing as enough insulation when it's 100 degrees out. I don't know if there is noticeable difference between dynamat, Ram audio, and hush mat . I also have a full hood. The roll of Ram was enough to do the 32 truck with some leftover. I wasn't able to get inside the doors to cover all of them.
TEAM SMART

tom36

[quote="  I used home made coolcar ceramic insulation on the top of the floor [/quote]

What goes into "homemade ceramic insulation?  Thanks, Tom...

kb426

This is the thread that I got my info from.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html
I used coolcar on my 53 chevy pickup and it mad a tremendous difference but it had space in the cab where my 32 is a matchbox. The underhood temps in the 53 were in the 180 range. The 32 is around 200 because of late model efi. Because I've only built one 32, I don't have anything else to compare to. If you make your own, don't put too many micro sphere's in at one time. It took awhile to mix up. The spheres looked like powdered sugar. I brushed mine on but if you use a shunt gun, it can look really good.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

I made my own w/info from the hotrodder forum. I used the texture spray gun w/ the funnel shaped hopper on top from Horrible Freight. BAD CHOICE! That stuff splattered all over the car, I had to stop,wash the outside surfaces &dry & mask the entire outside of the car body.My previous build I used the Cool Car brand & brushed it on. the application went much better.I am still in final assembly w/ my 40 coupe so I can't say if the homemade insulation works as good as the $ brands.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

tom36

Thanks for the info guys.   Tom...

enjenjo

I used Cool-it Supressor from the NAPA store. About half the price, and very effective. It took about 15 ft of 36" material to do the whole inside of a truck cab including the doors.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

the fellows on the HAMB have good things to say about http://www.lobucrod.com/ .  

i haven't used it but it is another option

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Topsterguy

I've used "B-Quiet Ultimate" in a few cars and it works great.  It's about the same, if not better,  as Dynomat but a lot less expensive.  It's done by a company called B-Quiet in Calgary Alberta., and they get it to you "right now"
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Rochie

I made my own spray micro sphere insulation for my 29.  I mixed spheres with 2 part epoxy and sprayed the entire underside of the car as well as the inside.  Once everything was painted, I used Mike's (http://www.lobucrod.com/) insulation.  All I need to do now is figure out a way to stop heat from entering through the clutch and brake pedal openings.

1800guy

To seal your pedal shafts, use a disc of fairly stiff foam rubber on the shaft below the floor, so it is tight to the floor when the pedals are up.  Make the hole in the center of the disc tight enough to hold it in place, or stick it with weatherstrip adhesive.  You still get hot air when the pedal is depressed, of course.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.