Narrowing an 8" rear end.

Started by DRD57, June 22, 2011, 11:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

We had to narrow the rear end on this 40 coupe I'm working on 1.5" on each side to get the new wheels inside the fenders. The existing axles are 27.125" and 31.1875" . With the housing cut now I need 25.625" and 29.6875"

Got the housing done with a jig so it's welded up nice and straight. We can't just cut and re-spline the existing axles because the 2.5" immediately inboard of the splines is about .060" smaller diameter. I could cut and re-spline the long axle to replace the short one but that leaves me without a long one.  

The customer is prepared to buy new axles but, I'd like to save him a few bucks if we can do some easy swapping with other stock axles.

So, here's the question: are there existing stock axles the length I need or so much longer that they could be cut and re-splined to the length I need?

papastoyss

I don't know the answer to your question about axle length, but a 8"Maverick rear is plenty narrow enough for a '40 w/o narrowing anything.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Right side Maverick axle is 29 9/16" Right side Granada axle is 30 1/8"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

Could you have cut just the RH axle?
Anyway, too late.
There is a company in Idaho that makes axles for a reasonable price.
I'll see if I can dig it up.

GPster

Enjenjo and Fat Cat always seem to be able to come up with those dimensions but they must be busy. I think that the 8" and the 9" share some axels but it depends on the spline count and the bearing sizes so you might want to get that information handy. Hollender inter-change manuals  have that information and I think that's where the Franks get it (from their copies) but you'll have to find a manual that covers the right year range. I can't remember if there's that information in RRT's or Car Nut's rear end widths pages but maybe you can find a rear end that's the width you want to end up with and maybe you can work it backwards (would that make it a front end?). Sorry I got so wordy but I haven't logged on for days and it's all stored up. GPster