Metal cutting hole saw

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 11, 2011, 12:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

What is the latest type - brand - tooth count to use on notching round steel tube?  

Fitment of a roll bars to a chassis.  

1.650 , 1 inch , 1.250 tubes

I Have looked at Dewalt, Lennox type brands from 8 dollars each to real expensive tipped cutting hole saw
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

I used lenox for my nova chassis, I caught a sale at msc online and loaded up, I bought two of each size, and it was too many, I only needed  a second 1.625.  I would recommend making a mandrel so the hole saw threads onto it, It keeps it true and reduces chatter.  Low speed around 150 rpm.  They have the same hole saws at lowes if you want to try one.

kb426

When I was doing that real regular, I made a mandrel out of a R8 adapter and put it in my mill. I used 60 rpm and had few problems with .058 4130.
TEAM SMART

GPster

In the back of Hot Rod Delux magazines there is an ad for Blair Equipment Co. www.blairequipment.com for hole saws. The cutting edge on their tools looks more like of a mill tool rather than with the teeth of a saw blade. They look impressive mainly by their difference so maybe their site would be worth checking. They are a USA company out of Michigan. GPster