I'm ready to give up

Started by enjenjo, July 05, 2011, 09:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This 47 Pickup is kicking my butt. Before I went on vacation I was going to start it. I hooked up the timing light to a battery, and a charger to the battery, and cranked it over. Somehow I blew up my 40 year old Penske timing light, and my 10 amp battery charger. :shock:  So I had another charger, and I went out and got a new timing light.

When I got back from vacation, I tried checking the timing again, no spark. I said screw this, and ordered a reman Distributor. When I was installing it, I checked the coil, and that was bad too. :shock:

I put it back together, now I have spark. But I can not retard it enough to get the timing right. So I move it one tooth, and  now I can't advance it enough to get the timing right.  :shock:

Somebody hates me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

can you bump the plugs around one way or another on the cap and then move the distrbutor enough to get you timed where you want it?

enjenjo

I just tried that, no go. I looked, and by modifying the AC compressor bracket, I think I can get enough room. I don't need much, I can get to 4 degrees retarded now. I can get about 3/4" more rotation by modifying the bracket..

39deluxe

That's what you get for going on vacation. Nothing worse than a pee'd off Caddy.

I shouldn't poke fun at you. It just may come back to haunt me when it's time to fire up my truck for the first time.

Tom

phat46

...If it's not one thing it's usually two other things... :D  If anyone can get it going it's you Frank!

GPster

Is it a fresh motor? If it's a used motor mabe a worn timing chain? GPster

wayne petty

how about figuring out how many degrees and which way you need to turn the shaft..

removing the distributer gear..   figuring a way to locate the gear tooth and drill another pin hole almost 90 degrees off.. so the gear is on the shaft at a different relation...

perhaps.. counting the gear teeth.. dividing the number up.. so you could calculate a new position for the gear pin locating hole..

so the new hole lines up 4 or 6 degrees off with another gear tooth..

this would allow you to get it in.. with the rotor pointing in the proper angle

the above will take a LOT of thought and calculations... and probably a dividing wheel to get the drilled hole really close to the exact location..

since the gear teeth are might be an ODD number.. how about just spinning the gear on the shaft 180 and putting the pin back in...

enjenjo

It's handled. A slight modification to the compressor bracket allows 18 degrees more.

GPster

Yeh, but does it run? GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

enjenjo,

i have months like that ...
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

" A slight modification "......... :idea:

Gee ...Isn't that what building Street Rods is all about  :?:

The Mrs & I just had the opportunity to drive the Kids '37 Dodge from Florida  to his new home in central Illinois ....
Boy ...It's  83K miles  since we built it ... :shock:  

A no frills , turn the key & go kind of car .... 8)
 I wish I could make my Olds ride as nice as that car does ... :roll:

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just tried that, no go. I looked, and by modifying the AC compressor bracket, I think I can get enough room.

There is the problem, you got the distributor on the wrong end of the motor it goes between the carb and the firewall.   :shock:

enjenjo

It made fire about 6 pm. One thing off my mind.

enjenjo

Ran it for an hour today, timing set, all the fluids topped off. Problems with the power steering yet, and the brakes have to be bled again.

enjenjo

I thought I was done with this one, just waiting to take it in for an alignment. Today as I walked by it, I noticed oil on the floor, looks like the hydroboost is defective.  :evil:  Looks like I'll have to reschedule the alignment.