gas tank sealer

Started by chimp koose, May 13, 2011, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

What tank sealer do you recommend? I may be installing my gas tank for the last time soon and need to coat the inside with something as the tank is mild steel. I have heard of some sealers coming loose and floating around in the tank. Do not want that. There will be pump gas in this tank,maybe octane boost if required.The kreem  brand tank sealer I bought at the swap meet 10 yrs ago has dried up.the tank was sealed off right when it was built so there should be little if any rust inside.

enjenjo

This is what I use. They have a Canadian source listed too.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Fuel_Tank_Sealer.html
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

chimp koose

Thanks guys. I will call the canadian supplier monday. Enjenjo are there any special things to look out for to get a good result? My tank is basically square ,no baffles,11 gallons max. As soon as I made it I taped off the openings and it has been sitting in heated storage ever since.The por15 idea sounds interesting but I have not heard of anyone doing it that way. I have a quart of por15 on the shelf.

enjenjo

POR15 makes a fuel tan sealer, I have used it but I like Redcote better. The POR15 sealer works better on a rusty tank. Clean the inside of the tank with acetone, sloshing it like sealer, drain and let it dry, pour in the Redcote, slosh it well, drain and pour it back in the can for the next time. and let dry at least 24 hours. You can seal several tanks with one can of sealer, depending on the size. I have even used Redcote to seal pinholes from the outside.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.