Still Another Question.......P/S Pulley

Started by 40, April 29, 2011, 09:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like I've had more than the usual amount of head aches with this build. I threw down the cash and ordered the P/S pump from Borgeson that's calibrated for the rack that I have....I informed them of the short pump etc,etc and the pulley they sent is one with a stock off-set. In order to line up with the outer groove of my crank/water pump 2-groove pulleys ....I need one with about 3/4" more off-set to move the pulley inboard.I do have a 3-groove crank pulley that would line up with the current P/S pulley but then I'd be running the middle groove and the outside groove of the water pump pulley empty.....I think that would look goofy.Also,If I can stay with the 2 groove crank pulley,there's a SLIM chance I can sneak in a mechanical fan.The problem I'm encountering is that all of the suppliers give the diameter but say nothing about depth.For my last few projects,I ordered everything from Bill's Hot Rods and had no problems...Guess I should have done the same again but I had most of what I needed in the shop and decided to use up some spare parts.I'm really not sure what is different......everything appears the same as the last few set-ups that worked perfectly. Anyone have a source for the pulley I need?? Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

I have a box full of pulleys, if you tell me what you need measured from the front of the snout to the backside of the pulley, and a diameter, I may have one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Thanks Frank.......I forgot to mention that this pulley has to be shiny......I'm doing one of those "pretty" cars  :lol: I assume the ones you have are stock/painted. It needs to be approximately 2 1/4" in height/depth, about 5 3/4" in diameter and have 1/8" keyway,I believe.If I can't locate an aluminum one and you have one that will work and want to sell it.....I could always have it chromed. Oh yeah,I'm also running a 15 series standard V belt.

enjenjo

Quote from: "40"Thanks Frank.......I forgot to mention that this pulley has to be shiny......I'm doing one of those "pretty" cars  :lol: I assume the ones you have are stock/painted. It needs to be approximately 2 1/4" in height/depth, about 5 3/4" in diameter and have 1/8" keyway,I believe.If I can't locate an aluminum one and you have one that will work and want to sell it.....I could always have it chromed. Oh yeah,I'm also running a 15 series standard V belt.

I'll take a look tomorrow. I have some aluminum ones too. 5/8" bore?

Mikej

I forgot to mention that this pulley has to be shiny......

You could buy a powder coat kit and make it shiney.. then I could borrow it :oops:

I'll take a look tomorrow. I have some aluminum ones too. 5/8" bore?[/quote]

Yes, It's a 5/8" bore. I decided to remove the radiator AGAIN this afternoon/evening and get a real accurate measurement......there was so much junk in the way that the 2 1/4" depth might be a bit much. The realtor is having an open house tomorrow so I'm not sure how much time I can spend in the shop.....the wife/boss has a pretty big punch list for me :shock:

Quote from: "Mikej"I forgot to mention that this pulley has to be shiny......

You could buy a powder coat kit and make it shiney.. then I could borrow it :oops:

Mike.....I think the warden might frown on me using her oven  :lol:

Mikej

If you're going to move anyway , it would be ok to use her oven :wink:

phat46

I machined the front pully off a two groove pully to make one fit once. But that was a painted one.

OK.....The pulley needs to be 1 3/4" deep instead of 2 1/4" as I originally thought......I removed everything in the way and got an accurate measurement. The only thing I can find on the web is one from March Performance......it's  listed at 1.69" deep so it would probably work .

enjenjo

I have one about 1 3/4". It's steel, no keyway though. If you want it it's yours.

Thanks Frank.......I'm going to give March a call in the morning....sounds like their pulley will work.....it already has the keyway and is polished/clear coated.... but....it's about $70+ freight.I have no way to cut a keyway into the stock pulley that you have.....I'm sure a local machine shop could do it if the one from March won't work.....thanks again!

enjenjo