Wrinkle finish help

Started by kb426, April 25, 2011, 07:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anyone know of a good product besides powder coating that will leave a good wrinkle finish for alum. parts? The only thing local is Krylon spray can. Is there something better?
TEAM SMART

GPster

35 years ago I used the spray can method on the dash of a "A". Of course it was 1/8" plate and it didn't have any holes in it. Maybe you can get some ideas from Ham Radio operators. Their equipment was the place I always remember that finish from. GPster

enjenjo

For many years I used Illbronze wrinke paint in areosol cans, I understand it is no longer available. Another good product is Riloplast wrinkle finish, it's expensive and only available through high end Italian car dealers, but an outstanding product. I have heard good things about VHT wrinkle finish, but have not used it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

VHT used to be pretty decent. Don't know if it still is.

Kennedy sells brown wrinkle paint, haven't used it.

Canuck

Used VHT for a defrost blower housing for the coupe.  Had to strip it once and redo, but that was my fault.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/Chevelle406/Coupe%20Body/IMG_0502.jpg

Happy with the results.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

wayne petty

don't wrinkle your nose up at this link...

http://www.finishing.com/0400-0599/409.shtml

you might learn how to blend your own...

i am almost sure that the secret is outed in this forum post..

as i remember something like that from my dad.. who worked in the studio and refinishing  paint industry here in so cal from 1933 to 1986...

if you have ever used Zolatone.. that is a division of the company he worked for..

one thing...  the hammer finish used lead based paints..  so if you find hammer finish on something older than 1985...  it might be lead based paint before sanding it off... there are lead paint testing swabs available at most home centers...

something in moth balls as i recall were dissolved in nitrocellulose lacquer to make frosting lacquer..   perhaps that is what was used in the prism lacquer..  prism lacquer dried like ice crystals in the clear..

they even mixed transparent dyes into butyl cellusolve , then ethanol to make a wild colored stain....   if you did not mix it into the ethanol...   you could mix the concentrate direcly into the clear lacquer to make like a candy that was used for stain glass replicas... where the elmers glue was mixed with aluminum powder to make it grey...  then the clear areas filled with the concentrated color in lacquer..

when they tore down the building where my sister had done her kitchen window in that.. the tear down contractor took that window out himself for his wife...  she loved it..

i don't recall what kind of oil they mixed in with lacquer to make leather lacquer.. .

they had a product called plastic primer..   designed as a primer for zolatone for fiberglass applications ..   worked so well .. you could paint almost any plastic with it..  somebody used some to paint plate glass windows..   oops...  it broke the plate glass window when it dried.. too much grip and surface tension..  studios bought it in the dozen base colors.. blended it to make what ever color they needed as if you added tint color... you changed the qualities and the drying time...   but blending deep pure colors.. gave you the rainbow without changing the material qualities..

oh well.. enjoy the link.. hope it works for you...

sorry for going overboard...

Mac

On bare aluminum you should start with an etching primer for adhesion.
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

I thought Canuck's blower housing looked pretty good so I ordered a can of VHT. I'll try it on some small parts and see how it develops. I looked at most of the ideas that were posted. If this doesn't work well, I'll keep trying. Thanks, guys.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I have used VHT Wrinkle in the past ... As I remember the trick was a clean surface & 2 coats ...Then put under a "Spot or Flood light to get it warm while drying ...He helps achieve a uniform "wrinkle" .... 8)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****