Question RE: Window Felts

Started by 40, April 23, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getting ready to put the new glass in the 37 project.......Just wondering if I can use something like 3M weatherstrip adhesive to hold the window felts to the door and garnish moulding in place of the clips/screws. Seems like with the screws and clips there would be a chance of scratching the glass especially as the felt wears. If the 3M W/S adhesive isn't strong enough......Is there something else that someone has used and would recommend......By the way......I hope everyone has a Great Easter!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

I use 1/8" aluminum Pop rivets with a small head. If you are careful when installing them, you can bury them in the fuzz so they never touch the glass.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2rods

40 I was worried about the same thing and heard guys complaining about scratched glass. I used the 3m weatherstrip adhesive and has been on my 35 for 10 years without any problems at all.

UGLY OLDS

As Frank suggested the 1/8" small head pop-rivets have always worked for me ... There should be an area below the "Fuzzy" part of the strip that is kind of soft ...This is the area your rivet should be in ...NOT the "fuzzy" part ...  This puts the head of the rivit below the surface of the fuzzy & will not contact the glass ... Be sure the "nail" part of the rivet is gone from  the rivit so nothing is sticking out ..  ..

Let me know if you need photos ...I have them but cant post them ...

( Glass channels & fuzzies I got a handle on .... ...Computers not so
 much soo ... :roll:   )

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****