Something different in the shop

Started by WZ JUNK, April 12, 2011, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

This car came in today for Specialty Wiper instal and a complete wiring system.  It is a rush job as it has to go to the upholstery shop next.  It is actually a race car and its next race is mid June.  It runs in the Great Race Rally sponsored by Hemmings and Coker Tire.

http://www.greatrace.com/

The owner has raced in the Rally 22 times and has won it twice.  I wish you could see it up close as it is very nice.  

I am going to busy the next few days.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

It is all 12 volt.  The car has two electric fuel pumps and can run on either one.  Pretty much like a normal streetrod wiring project but simple.  No electric windows or air conditioning.  Wiring is one of the updates allowed but a lot of the car must be original or close to it.  It does have some kind of overdrive unit on the torque tube.  I will look at it more when I am under there.  The rear end is updated with some 9 inch parts such as spider gears and bearings.

I am going to need some tubing like Specialty Wipers uses for the cable drive.  Where can I get something that will work?  I think they ruined the piece that came with the wiper kit.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

QuoteI am going to need some tubing like Specialty Wipers uses for the cable drive. Where can I get something that will work? I think they ruined the piece that came with the wiper kit.

I think that is 3/8" OD, aluminum fuel line will work.

river1

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"It does have some kind of overdrive unit on the torque tube.  I will look at it more when I am under there.  John

that may be a Laycock OD unit. a lot of the early fords are converted with them, they came in Volvos tho i can't remember the model right now. as far as i can recall gear vendors are the same basic OD design. the model A restorers use them so they can keep up with modern traffic without straying from "restored" looks. pretty cool set-up

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

348tripower

Frank is correct. 3/8 aluminum fuel line. :D
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

I will order the tubing from Speedway this morning.  Thanks

The other related problem is that the motor and drive are mounted on the firewall under the dash and the wipers are above the windshield.  The drive cable and tube go up through the windshield post.  I do not think I can instal this in one piece.  I will have to splice the two outer tubes together after they are in place.  I have an idea on how to do this but I wondered if anyone else has an idea.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

PeterR

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am going to need some tubing like Specialty Wipers uses for the cable drive.  Where can I get something that will work?  I think they ruined the piece that came with the wiper kit.  

John

Lucas cable drive wipers use Bundy tube (same type of tube used for brake lines).

How would a Swagelok compression fitting go to make a join.

wayne petty

if you need it faster... some hardware and most professional pluming supply stores stock it...

Watts 41091 3/8 INidx50 Ft Aluminum Tubing   just over 50 bucks for a coil...

Brand   WATTS ANDERSON BARRO
Part Numbers   41091, AL3/8X50
UPC   048643061644

these numbers might not be correct.. but they are as close as i can get fast..

but... many sell cut sections of it...

not meaning to cut out suppliers.. but you said this is a rush job...

its used in natural gas water heaters and stoves.... as line from the valve to the burner...  be careful... most stores stock 1/4 and 5/16 .. only a few will have 3/8

i searched for pipe and supply and found none really close... up in joplin...

one pipe and supply and several plumbing supplys..

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I will order the tubing from Speedway this morning.  Thanks

The other related problem is that the motor and drive are mounted on the firewall under the dash and the wipers are above the windshield.  The drive cable and tube go up through the windshield post.  I do not think I can instal this in one piece.  I will have to splice the two outer tubes together after they are in place.  I have an idea on how to do this but I wondered if anyone else has an idea.

John

You can join it with a compression coupling, you might have to drill though the center of the coupling depending on the brand, for cable clearance. I have run the tubing through the post in one piece, by using a 10 ga. steel wire run through the post first, then inserting that into the end of the tube, and using that to control the end of the tube inside the door post. Aluminum tubing is pretty forgiving, just don't kink it.

papastoyss

I had a similar situation & called & talked w/ the now late owner of Speciality & he advised me that plain old copper tubing would work just fine. He cautioned me to use plenty of grease to lube the cable so it would run quiet & fast.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

32coupe

HI
I have pretty much the same set up on my coupe, I have the motor on the fire wall on the passenger side and a copper tube running up the windscreen post to the wiper heads. I found the copper very easy to use as it is quite flexable and very easy to manipulate.

Cheers
andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

WZ JUNK

The car went home tonight.  I used aluminum tubing to make the tube for the wiper drive.  It took a couple of tries to make the piece that went up through the windshield post but I got it.  It goes to the upholstery shop Monday.  It will be interesting to see how it does in the race.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck