Hey Tony...Too many Neutrals

Started by Dusty, April 20, 2011, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Tony...
On a '94 Chevy PU, with a 700R4.  1st, 2nd, and reverse work like they should.  When it tries to shift into 3rd, it acts like neutral.  It shifts from 1st to 2nd, then "Nuttin Honey".  What is the most logical problem?  

The truck isn't worth what another transmission would cost ($1400-$1600).    Several years ago I had to have the 1st to 2nd, or maybe it was 2nd to 3rd solenoid replaced, but I don't remember if this is the same symptoms.  The truck has 260K miles, and the only trouble with the trans is the previous mentioned solenoid, then after that the lockup converter had to be changed because of severe chatter from what I was told was the lockup plates were just worn out.

So what's the verdict?
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

wayne petty

find a scan tool... check for codes....  post codes...  research codes...  follow trouble shooting trees...

compare live data stream to this chart... ONE LINE at a time..

there are enough of these transmissions in the wrecking yards...  you can get them there... with a warrantee... but check codes first..

you will also... have to figure out how to tell the difference between the variations...  there are some without PWM.. and some with PWM.. where the computer controls the line pressure and the torque converter clutch apply with PWM...  Pulse Width Modulation..

use extreme care...that the torque converters are properly seated before transport.. and before installation...  what ... yep.. when the transmission is on the transmission jack under the truck.. about half way up.. and just before mating to the back of the engine..   when the torque converter slips out even slightly...  and the transmission is jammed in to mate with the engine..   the pump will be damaged ...  leaving you with a NON functioning transmission..

Crosley.In.AZ

QuoteTony...
On a '94 Chevy PU, with a 700R4. 1st, 2nd, and reverse work like they should. When it tries to shift into 3rd, it acts like neutral. It shifts from 1st to 2nd, then "Nuttin Honey". What is the most logical problem?

The truck isn't worth what another transmission would cost ($1400-$1600). Several years ago I had to have the 1st to 2nd, or maybe it was 2nd to 3rd solenoid replaced, but I don't remember if this is the same symptoms. The truck has 260K miles, and the only trouble with the trans is the previous mentioned solenoid, then after that the lockup converter had to be changed because of severe chatter from what I was told was the lockup plates were just worn out.

So what's the verdict?

1994 chev truck is not a 700r4.  It is a 4L60E trans.

Same problem , though.  3-4 clutches smoked out if there is no 3rd gear.  No 3rd gear and there can not be any 4th gear.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dusty

Tony, is the clutch problem something that would happen all at once, or would it start slipping a little at a time?  The reason I'm asking, is I haven't driven the truck in about 2 weeks, and it started just as I left the house, and it tried to shift into 3rd.  Thanks for the update on the style of trans.  I just figured it was the R-4.  I guess we are talking a major rebuild, if it's clutches.
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Crosley.In.AZ

it is like a heart attack... you can have symptoms to a heart attack or just have one
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)