wheels for 50 Merc with 8.8

Started by mrloboy, April 02, 2011, 08:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I have installed an 8.8 rear axle from a 95 Explorer in a 50 Mercury sedan with Jamco lowered Leaf springs. I am also using the Explorer rear anti-sway bar. Very simple installation. I only had to make four mounting tabs to attach the link bars to the crossmember above the rear axle. The only modification needed was to move the upper shock mounts outwards 3" to allow clearance for the sway bar movement.

I have repro SS 50 Merc hubcaps that the owner wishes to use. Is there a steel wheel with the 5 on 4-1/2" BP that will accommodate the 11" hubcaps or does anyone have an creative idea on how to adapt these to a the smaller cap wheels?

I would also like to use the park brake system in the Explorer diff and adapt it to the stock front cable and brake handle of the Mercury. Does anyone make a universal cable for the Ford brake system?

Thanks, Rick

Rochie

Rick,
you might want to talk to Jimmy at Rally america.  He can normally build something to work.  I just changed the rear in my 29 from a banjo to an 8 in. The banjo was 5 x5.5 and I built a set of 15 x 8 wheels using Jimmy's hoops and my pickup centers.  This time I couldn't find 5 X 4.5 centers to accept the 10 1/8th caps. Jimmy had them.  Try him he's got good service and product.

Charlie Chops 1940

If you have a couple stock 49-50 Merc wheels you could cut the ring that holds the cap out of the old center and weld it to the newer wheel, or make up 3 nubs from 1/4 to 3/8 stock and weld them to the newer wheel to accept the hubcap.

I've never seen any wheel other than the 49-50 Merc that accepts that hubcap, but I have done the nub s welded on deal.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

mrloboy

Thanks Charlie I will try the "weld on nubs thing!" That should be fairly straight forward.

wayne petty

for the Internal rotor parking brake cables....

that system is used on a lot of cars in the ford merc and lincoln lines...

anything with rear wheel disc brakes....

there are shops out there that can build you custom length parking brake cables and casings....

i have never been under a 50 ford...  there were 3 in the shop i used to work at... but.. i don't have a clue what they use under there from the factory..

i do have some catalogs that list if i am not mistaken... parking brake cables by length..   cable length and casing length.. edit.. i will have to look farther... they list accelerator cables and trans shift cables...

can you give me some lengths to look for...   casing length...  cable core length...

the right hand parking brake cables on those are extra long.. so .. they could be shortened... and used on either side....  they are available at most parts stores.... for cheep....

give me some lengths.. if you need more help....

if you have a napa store.. some of their stores as i recalled had the ability to make custom length cables for both the clutch and the parking brakes... talk only to the store manager... if the counter guys don't help with an answer...

edit... i googled parking brake cables... and this was the first link that came up

http://www.madisonpowersystems.com/1cables/02parking/parkingbrakecables.htm

might be a big help....

everybody might want to book mark that site...

mrloboy

Thanks Wayne. A lot of good stuff on that site.

Another useful one is control cables inc. http://store.controlcables.com

I was just looking at Lokar's site and they have a Clevis end adapter for the explorer brake system to use with their universal kit. I have used a number of these universal kits in the past on 8", 9" Fords as well as a few Chevy 10bolt systems. Easy to install and work well. This might be the ticket for the Mercury.

The brake actuator is an underdash handle system. I have the original unit from the car as well as a NOS front cable. I am sure that with the Lokar adapters and the other items I keep in stock. It will work out fine. Well, I hope so anyway!   Rick