1 1/4" front sway bar for a <Mustang II

Started by Learpilot, March 23, 2011, 09:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Anybody know who makes a 1 1/4" front sway bar for a Mustang II.
Thanks , Rick

Charlie Chops 1940

Rick, I don't know of a kit but on my '40 I used 1.25 bar off of a junkyard Camaro/Firebird. Overall it's too wide but the width at it's first bends were okay, so I reshaped the rest with heat, then cut off the extra length and welded the end back on.

It has served well for close to 100k.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Learpilot

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Rick, I don't know of a kit but on my '40 I used 1.25 bar off of a junkyard Camaro/Firebird. Overall it's too wide but the width at it's first bends were okay, so I reshaped the rest with heat, then cut off the extra length and welded the end back on.

It has served well for close to 100k.

Charlie
THANKS !!!
Cutting and welding did not take the tension out ?  Did you cut with a saw or cut off wheel ? Not a torch .

enjenjo

I have heated and bent sway bars for years. I was under a car I did twenty years ago tuesday, and the sway bar is doing fine, even though I competely reversed the bends on the end of that one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Not that you'd have a reason to bend them there, but I assume this works because you avoid the center area, where the torsion action happens?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Charlie Chops 1940

Correct, I don't get into the torsion part. The rest of the work is just new handles so to speak. I do most of my cutting with the band saw or cut off wheels. I preparation for weld I gring a point on the mating pieces leaving the part that touches at 1/4-3/8" diameter then tack them together assembled in the chassis. If the fit is good I'll do a bit of filler work on the chassis then remove and finish weld and smooth it all out.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

1800guy

If I understand this correctly, I can not take a bar that is too wide and cut a section out of the middle?  Maybe cut it at a long angle to get more mating surface.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Charlie Chops 1940

No, the middle is what you want to leave alone, it is the torsion bar so to speak.

Pick a bar with a middle that is appropriately sized to allow you to mount it to the frame and then modify the ends to be shorter or otherwise reconfigured to reach where you can use a set of vertical links to brackets on the front of your lower a-arms, or right through the arms. It all depends on the room you have. You have to do a bit of "imagineering".

Charlie

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "1800guy"If I understand this correctly, I can not take a bar that is too wide and cut a section out of the middle?  Maybe cut it at a long angle to get more mating surface.

I have never tried it, and would not advise it. Too many out there that just need minor mods to fit.

1800guy

So it looks like once again lack of money and the laws of physics conspire against me.  Back to the local research & recycle facility  - LKQ here I come.

enjenjo

Quote from: "1800guy"So it looks like once again lack of money and the laws of physics conspire against me.  Back to the local research & recycle facility  - LKQ here I come.

What front suspension you working with? I might have some suggestions.

1800guy

It's for my Summer cruiser - a 71 Volvo 142E.  It's still in storage until next week, and I don't recall the dimensions right off hand.  It's a pretty simple bar with basically just two 90's - no fancy dips or twists.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteYou have to do a bit of "imagineering".

Charlie

I like that term ... 8)  
 Gotta remember that one ..... :lol:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "1800guy"It's for my Summer cruiser - a 71 Volvo 142E.  It's still in storage until next week, and I don't recall the dimensions right off hand.  It's a pretty simple bar with basically just two 90's - no fancy dips or twists.

Look at S10. I think it's a 1" bar, but you can shorten the ends to make it stiffer

1800guy

Look at S10. I think it's a 1" bar, but you can shorten the ends to make it stiffer[/quote]

Thanks - I'll check that out.  Every car needs at least one Chevy part, right?