rubber bushed rod ends

Started by taxpyer, February 25, 2011, 01:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

Does anyone know of a rubber bushed alternate to the neoprene type rod ends? Any info is much appreciated.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Get the dimensions of the rod end inner diameter & the length & hole size needed .. Look at the Moog / TRW chassis parts book at your local parts house ..(  NOT the "Bubble Pack" store ) ... You can usually find them by size rather than application ...  

Hope this helps ...
Bob .......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I made some years ago and used 60's Ford leaf spring shackle bushings.
TEAM SMART

taxpyer

Yes, I am interested in the type used on four bar setups. I want to put a triagulated system in my project and so I am thinking about durability more than looks. I know that jeep uses some nice panhard bars in their jeeps that would work nicely with a bit of reworking.Thanks guys i will follow any leads given. );b(

kb426

Page 5 of the Magnum axle catalog lists adjusters and bushings as does Pete and Jakes and others.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Used to be that M. A. S. showed them on their ad. The only place I've seen their ads lately has been in Rod and Custom. There are a bunch of bigger ends shown in 4x4 catalogs as replacement leaf spring and shackle  bushing replacement bushings. Just another place to look. GPster

UGLY OLDS

look at 60's Chev full size  & 65'/ later full size Ford panhard bar bushings ....
Still avail from Moog & TRW I think...

Try to  Google  "suspension bushings" ..See what you find ....

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

Taxpayer ,try the old car centre in british columbia . They sell the same rod ends as M.A.S. . I used them on my anglia,good people to deal with. I think they sell the bushings separately also.Shipping should be easy!

enjenjo

I have used factory type Mustang II upper control arm bushings. They seem to hold up well.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

taxpyer

Thanks to all who contibuted to the solution of my delema. I knew I could count on this great forum, Thanks again,,, Now, I'll just do my part. :0-0

PeterR

Without wishing to highjack this, there is something often overlooked with suspension four bars.

When an axle moves through extremes of travel, the panhard rod is subjected to only a small amount of twist between the ends.

However, during body roll or when driving over a single wheel bump, the axle is no longer parallel to the body (when viewed from the rear) and the four bars have to be able to accommodate this.

Original equipment installations generally use tube for the panhard rod, and an I section fabricated from two U pieces back to back for the four bars.   Open sections (U and I shaped) are able to withstand substantial compressive and tension loads, but have very little torsional stiffness which allows them to twist easily without overloading the bars or the bushes.

For appearance purposes aftermarket bars are usually tube which is very stiff in torsion and this means the bushes have to take up the angulation between axle and body.  Urethane bushes have very little "give" and this is the reason adjustable bars often loosen the locknut then use the thread as a torsion escape.

If the bush ends are welded directly to the tube, then the bushes deteriorate quite quickly and in extreme cases the pivot mounts develop cracks where they weld to the frame.

Big rubber bushes that have enough give in torsion are also soggy in the direction along the bar so provide poor axle location.

Hiem joints provide the articulation necessary but have a very short service life on a road going vehicle.        

It is not surprising vehicle manufacturers have persisted with the open section bars for so long.