the best GM tilt column tear down forum post ever...

Started by wayne petty, February 02, 2011, 11:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

this is the best GM tilt column with dimmer switch operated by the turn slgnal lever i have seen...

they went as far as doing cut a ways to show hidden features..

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

taxpyer

Wayne,     Thanks alot for taking the time to put this article up for us. It is indeed a great item. I have done four of these columns and each time it gets better but to have this reference is great.  A fellow is usually forced to do them in the car which is a real treat. :?   By the way, Snapon makes a great little pivot-pin puller.
Thanks alot. 8)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

wayne petty

i only grabbed the link when i ran across it....

not involved in it.  

i have worked on a few FIEROs ..  ever run across one that won't release the clutch.. hard to shift.. grinding going into gear... check the pedal.. the push rod hole wears into an oval... there are replacement steel clutch pedals for the aluminum versions that wear out..

enjenjo

QuoteBy the way, Snapon makes a great little pivot-pin puller

They copied mine. I made one back in the 70s. I am still using it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i know that little pivot pin puller..  except i ran across a wing nut with big wings  that was the right size...   now i don't need to find a wrench to use it..

my lock ring depressor also has a big wing nut ..

Boyd Who

Great post! I need to fix the signal switch on the column in my Essex and that page will definitely help!

58Apache

Does anyone know if that's the same steering column that the S-10 truck uses? I have one that I may want to rebuild before I use it in my project.

I am sure I will want to re-wire it anyway...where would you get parts?

enjenjo

Quote from: "58Apache"Does anyone know if that's the same steering column that the S-10 truck uses? I have one that I may want to rebuild before I use it in my project.

Outside of details, all GM volumns are the same. Also many Jeeps, and some Mopars used  GM columns.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

Quote from: "58Apache"Does anyone know if that's the same steering column that the S-10 truck uses? I have one that I may want to rebuild before I use it in my project.

the idea to using GM or other factory columns...  is NOT having to rewire them...   if the turn signal switch goes bad.. if you know.. and thats a good idea to.. what year and model the column came out of .. you can walk into almost any parts store and buy a turn signal switch.. slide it in .. and plug it in..     so the junk yard column grab should also include several feet of the  car side of the turn signal harness...

there is usually a part number label on the turn signal wiring down where you can read it.. so its not a good thing to tear it off..

you will also notice.. the wiper switch and dimmer switch is activated by the turn signal stalk... there are at least 4 different wiper switches for these.. one that has delay .. and one that does not. one thats held in with a pin.. as seen in the photos and one thats held in with a screw/bolt...

so many differences...   but so many parts that will interchange...

one thing they did not show.. was using a single wrap of electrical tape around the top of the connector to hold it near the ribbon cable to allow easier extraction...    i normally push it down with a LONG screw driver..

for additional parts there is a company called.. nuparts... oops.. they are gone..

jaybee

That's a good one, lots of great detail.  And as Frank pointed out these columns are everywhere.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

taxpyer

Thanks for this great posting!
I just went through a frustrating exercise,,,, replacing the wiper/signal/cruise control lever in my 89 Safari Van. :?  I thought I'd try the one off the "help" rack in my parts store............. Bad idea. :x  It was $65 and the lever itself did work but not before the cable got mutilated trying to get it back down through the column to where I couldn't take it back. (stupid to be in a hurry) The wire in the Chinese version I bought was thicker than the GM one that came out and the plastic end at the push-in connector was alot fatter and therefore would NOT pass though the column with the wheel attached.  :oops:
Moral of the story,,, don't be in a hurry and get the right part from the right place. When will I learn?  :(D)   By the way there are some good tutorials on columns on Utube.

wayne petty

ooh.. thats a lot of money for a turn signal lever with cruise...

i wish you had posted.. as there is almost no chance of  working that through without pulling the wheel and a bunch of other parts...

oh...  and for those who just break the wiper sleeve portion of the turn signal lever .. they are available individually...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/49265/image/4/

taxpyer

DANG! :(U)  That's all that was broken too!! :oops:

butch27

That's a lot of work for a turn signal and dimmer etc. We have ruined the American automobile.