Carb Clean Up

Started by Fift4fe, January 12, 2011, 05:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fift4fe

I recently noticed some scaling/corrosion on my edelbrock 4 barrel carb along with general fading of the metal. I need to pull it off and blast it.  What media would you recommend to clean it up and bring it back to a like new appearance?
OVER!
OVER?

Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

enjenjo

What finish did the carb have to begin with?

If it was the "polished" finish, you can Vibratory polish it. If the satin finish, bead blasting will work. In both cases, you will have to coat it with something when you are done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

I have absolutely no experience in this, but my 1st choice would probably be soda-blasting.  ......Or, at least learn more about it before deciding.

The media should be gentle on the die-cast metal, and not leave a pock-marked surface.

Any residue of the baking soda is soluble, and should not cause a problem.

Of course, I may be F.o.S.  :oops:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

1800guy

I'd go with soda - easy to clean up and no danger of grit getting jammed in where it's hard to remove without damage.  The finish looked about like what you might see on a six-month old carb, but that may depend on what finish there was to start with.  I glass-beaded one set of carbs - never again.  They looked really sharp but the stuff got past my masking and I spent way to much time getting things right again.  just my .02, of course.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.