bearclaw latches

Started by mrloboy, January 03, 2011, 01:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am working on a '50 Mercury 4-dr. I am considering improving the door latches using bearclaw kits. We wish to retain the stock outside door handles which are push button style. Does anyone make bearclaws with a push button feature or have any of you fellow rodders done a similar conversion? Inside handles will be no problem to adapt. Thanks, Rick

phat rat

Quote from: "mrloboy"I am working on a '50 Mercury 4-dr. I am considering improving the door latches using bearclaw kits. We wish to retain the stock outside door handles which are push button style. Does anyone make bearclaws with a push button feature or have any of you fellow rodders done a similar conversion? Inside handles will be no problem to adapt. Thanks, Rick

As long as your leaving the outside hardware on why do you feel the bear claws are an improvement? If you can find a good set of stock latches you'd be better off in my opinion. Yes I do have them on my cpe. but the only thing I got rid of was the stock latch assembly. I had removed the dovetails also at first. Big mistake had to find a set in a yard and cut the pillar out for the needed parts. The doors were too heavy without them holding it in place better
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

mrloboy

Thanks for the reply and your opinion based on experience. I have heard of others that have had issues with the Ford rotary latches not consistently latching securely and that concerned me. Any idea what is the cause of this? I felt replacing the latches would be an improvement to the car. I had not thought of the dove tail support for the heavy doors and I can indeed now see that as an issue. I will look at retaining the original mechanisms and just ensure that that are in good condition. Your input is greatly appreciated! Again, thanks, Rick