need economical fuel filter for my fuel injected motor

Started by Ed ke6bnl, December 29, 2010, 07:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

I put a 2.2 ecotec motor in my baja bug 2005 chevy cavalier. I need to install maybe a pre pump and after pump filter, any good choices that are not overly expensive thanks ED
was under the impression I need a 100 micron pre and 10 micron post pump to motor.??
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

kb426

I used the after filter for a late model Mustang. It's frame mounted and 3/8" hose barb on both ends.
TEAM SMART

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "kb426"I used the after filter for a late model Mustang. It's frame mounted and 3/8" hose barb on both ends.

thanks for the info. I looked up a filter for a 2005 mustang and it looks like that will do the trick 14 microns.  Thanks for the information cost about 14 dollars.
one more question

Do you think my boy could use the same filter on a 6psi electric fuel pump operating system feeding his vw motor on his baja. or are these designed for high pressure systems like my 48 psi system??? I know better then asking at autozone he will just ask the make model and year.  ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

kb426

I've never tried so I can't recommend with certainty. I think it would be fine because on most fuel filters, the media isn't designed to create a restriction until it's plugged up.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

i surfed the autozone web site....

selected fuel filters... and view all products....

over 380 fuel filters.. many with specs...

there are a LOT of possibilities... including the ford version...

popularity is important...

i like to use a GF 62 fuel filter..  i snag them used from 76 to 85 cad seville and eldorados. with fuel injection.. they have a removable can.. and element.. that is available at any parts stores.. even places like Kmart... comes with adaptors into the 3/8NPTF openings..

there is another option...    ford trucks back in the late 80 and early 90s .. used a plastic housing bolted on the inside of the frame rail... these have a big plastic cap and replaceable elements..  

i did find some interesting versions at autozone..

there are at least half a dozen more at the autozone web site.. that might be interesting...  be sure to put in your zip code to see the availability .. no use walking in and trying to order something thats not available.. they keep these out on the wall and the big ones behind the counter..

wayne petty

one last thing...  if you are running a baja...  and take it out into the boonies...  run dual pre pump filters...  but put a tee and valve to block the spare filter off but its still connected...  so no fuel will flow through it.. until you start the flow manually...   you might also want to tee in a tiny vacuum gauge between the pump and the prefilter... so you can tell how blocked it is...    this lets you get a few miles before the other filter plugs.. if you got a dirty batch of fuel...

you can also put your inline pressure gauge in also...  on the high pressure side of the pump....

i am also taking that you have a roll over or inertia switch rigged into the main pump circuit.. with the switch mounted were the driver could get easy access to it from the drivers seat...  think the A pillar..

the last thing.. one may also want to go through the autozone site.. looking at fuel pump strainers...   one of those on the end of the pick up tube inside the tank.. might be really useful... even if you have to make an adaptor tube to increase the pick up tube diameter to fit the strainer on...

Ed ke6bnl

I emailed this to my boy to let him know how helpful and knowledgable you fellows are, thanks Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

model a vette

Wayne-
Do you have a picture of the housing for the Caddy filter?
Ed

wayne petty

Quote from: "model a vette"Wayne-

the cads units have 3/8 female pipe thread and 3/8 inverted flair adaptors... along with a nice bracket....

this is the element for it.... available at every parts store...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-GF157/

if you are going to carry a spare element .. do so in some plastic pipe with 2  no hub caps...  so you can get it out with a screw driver and it will stay totally dry and clean even in a tool box...

these GF62 +versions are mostly no longer new complete.. but the caps are still available.. including stainless versions for marine apps...

GF62... GF62c...  there may be more...

the only reason i like the GF62 over the fram.. is you can get elements anywhere...

you can also get the Fram HPG1 at or through many parts stores who sell fram...

oh... and if junk yarding... be sure if you have one .. take a faucet wrench.. 79 to 85 eldorados and 80 to 85 sevilles  have a neat speedo section right off the transmission...  need a faucet wrench to get at it usually..  it has a wide radius 90 degree speedo cable adaptor..  great for using with header applications  to turn the cable forward instead of laying it across the header collectors and pipes..

river1

Quote from: "model a vette"Wayne-

i also found this with a quick google

http://www.hotrodparts.com/rollsbentleyparts/fuel_filter.htm

apparently it was used in Rolls Royces also

looks like it is pretty universal

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.