Still no new project

Started by Beck, November 23, 2010, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

When I don't have the room for a new toy they seem to be everywhere. Now that I'm shopping for one, I can't seem to find one that "fits" me.

I had asked a few weeks back about stripping paint from fiberglass. At that time I was looking at a V-drive flat bottom boat. It was rough. Then I found a nice one for less than I would have invested in rebuilding the rough one. It is still available but I have not made the purchase.

I had been looking at "bobbed" deuce and a half trucks. I love the look and I thought I had justified a few uses for one. I found a nice one locally and went to take a look last night. When I pulled in to the driveway I thought this is it. A close inspection and it was still what I was after. Then I went for a ride. This was my first time in a Deuce. I was offered ear plugs before leaving. I have never been in a noisier rougher riding vehicle in my life! All the reasons I had to justify owning this truck just went out the window. I thanked the owner several times for the ride and then left for home without it.

A couple of weeks ago I went to look at a 62 Bug convertible. I knew it was rough when I went. I was thinking a convertible Volksrod. My thinking was the convertible top would be much easier to chop than a sedan. When I got there the floors were non existent and the heater channels were nearly as bad. The rear package tray had holes. The motor cover (is that the hood or trunk on a bug) was missing part of a  side. Both front kick panel areas were rusted through. I came home without this one too.

I had been thinking about a British sports car with a V8 conversion. I was thinking about a Triumph TR6. Online I found a little bit of information. This was something I thought would be new at the car shows. Two days ago I got the new Goodguys mag. In it is a beautiful Austin Healey with a V8. The Healey is a much prettier body than the TR6. It is also much more expensive. I was even picturing the TR6 in navy blue. There went that new idea.

I've been watching for a nice affordable 68 to 72 Nova. Unfortunately nice and affordable never apply at the same time. It is either one or the other.

I guess I will put up a quilting frame and have my mother come teach me how it's done, or there is always Bingo.

Glen

a friend of mine specializes in special vehicles, maybe something here might give you an idea?

www.stellarautoplex.com

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Jokester

Look at www.bringatrailer.com

Some strange stuff in there.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

UGLY OLDS

How 'bout a "Low Mileage " ..."Like New" Astro Van  :?:    :idea:
  See my other post ........ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"
A couple of weeks ago I went to look at a 62 Bug convertible. I knew it was rough when I went.

If you want a VW, check the Classifieds on
Volksrods.com and TheSamba.com

unklian

Beck

I have been out of touch for a while. Deer season and the holidays had me off line. Thanks for the replies. The VW projects seem to be easier to come by than any of the others. The bugs would be my prefference in VW, however that fastback doesn't look to bad either. Cutting up a convertible standard bug would be my preference, but as I stated before, those get pricy if there is much left to them.

Something will show up. I don't want to jump into anything that I won't want later.