Anti freeze/water ratio on computer controlled vehicles

Started by junkyardjeff, November 16, 2010, 11:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I was told that if there is too much water or anti freeze the sensors wont work right and needs to be 50/50,is this correct or just b/s.

Crosley.In.AZ

Never heard of such a thing.  As long as the sensor is covered in the liquid,  I would think it would be OK.

An extreme mixture away from 1- 1 mix on the coolant has always been a problem ... lack of antifreeze , the water boils out or freeze up

Too much antifreeze and the systems does not cool as well
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

I was told that years ago and having issues that could be related to a coolant sensor and was wondering if thats a possibility.

wayne petty

50/50 to 70/30    coolant to water...    if you have a completely new dry system...    use distilled water...  as the water portion..

straight coolant does not have the thermal conductivity needed to properly transfer the heat from the engine to the radiator ..  

coolant concentration testers are available at most parts stores for under 5 bucks...  

most coolant  bottles have a chart on the back..    70 percent coolant and 16 pounds of pressure get you a boiling point of about 260F...

make sure that the radiator cap center button is spring loaded.. there are a few models that require the expanding coolant to push it closed before it will build pressure...   i have changed too many head gaskets do to that design  problem..

i went through a stant catalog for another thread offsite...   all the conventional size caps i looked at are designed for coolant recovery..    so.. all systems will need an overflow bottle to stay full in the radiator... usually more important on cross flow radiators...

some cars with computer driven relays to operate the cooling fans will have bleeder screws to allow you to purge the air that is trapped in the block and heads and can cause the thermostat to not be in contact with the coolant.. steam will not transfer enough heat to the wax pellet to open the thermostat..  so it will create an overheating problem..

electric cooling fans REQUIRE a thermostat that is matched to the system..  180 or 192F    if the thermostat is wrong..    the thermostat will open and continue to circulate the coolant through the radiator..  NO electric fan i have ever seen.. can cool moving coolant...  the coolant has to swap at the same time the fan comes on...   fans running all the time will drain the battery and have short lives.. they were never designed to be powered up full time..   spin in the ram air.. yes...

a hand held infrared temp gun is your best friend and a great investment..

you can tell when the thermostat opens and when its not opening. verify the temp gauge is accurate ....  how cold the beer is...  how hot the chile is ..  thermal wise..   you still have to use your tongue for the spice rating...

oh.. and for those who live in freezing areas...  i have heard.. that coolant will separate if the engine is not started every 30 days or so..  separate from the water..  letting the water freeze... i am NOT SURE of this..  but i thought i would toss it out there..

i also use a cleaned out wet or dry shop vacuum to pull the coolant out of the blocks when i am doing a timing cover..  prevents the drips into the oil pan..

phat rat

Quote from: "wayne petty"
oh.. and for those who live in freezing areas...  i have heard.. that coolant will separate if the engine is not started every 30 days or so..  separate from the water..  letting the water freeze... i am NOT SURE of this..  but i thought i would toss it out there..

Never heard of nor experienced such a thing.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "wayne petty"

Never heard of nor experienced such a thing.

Same here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

x3,but I have split a block with straight water though.And you thought my team smart membership was a fluke!

phat rat

Quote from: "chimp koose"x3,but I have split a block with straight water though.And you thought my team smart membership was a fluke!

Standing joke when I was young was "Use creek water because you don't see creeks freezing" Well if you fell for that of course you had frozen water in the radiator.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

UGLY OLDS

If you use "Heavy Water", will it cause the front end to sit nice & low  :?:  :idea:  :?

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

I've been considering putting in an aluminum radiator in my 61 Chrysler, so I guess I'll have to use the 'Heavy Water' to keep the front end down like I like it.