Delco starter magnet?

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, November 13, 2010, 05:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Friend of mine was putting the starter from one Caddy 500 onto another one that he wanted to turn over with the starter. Called to ask me if I ever saw a magnet stuck to the outside of the starter up on the smaller diameter - brushes end? This is a "normal" large style Delco starter.

The magnet matches the curvature of the starter and is about 1-7/8" long, 1-3/8" wide and 1/4" thick. It's a mystery to both of us, but we're wondering if this magnet is some "snake oil' cure for hot start or some other starter malady.

Anyone?  figure Enjenjo or Wayne will know if anyone does....

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Not a clue. Never heard of this before.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

interesting!!!

I could see how this might be a quick fix if it were on a B&S mower starter, the magnets are glued in the barrel, they do come loose then rub. A magnet on the outside might bring the clearance back. It could get you through the cutting season. Ele starters for mowers are very costly.

I think the Delco mini starter also have glued permemit magnets don't know about caddy starters, did a quick search found no snake oil recipes

wayne petty

the only thing i can think of its the magnet that some people wrap around their oil filters and it got moved from the filter...

magnets around the oil filters might actually work...  sticking one inside the deep part of the oil pan in a bottom corner... will attract any steel fragments and debris, before it gets cycled through the pump...  think cam lobes.. timing chain and sprockets are the biggest providers of steel and iron fragments over the life span of the motor...    the filters in most cars have a bypass valve... that allow oil bypass the filter when the oil is cold... or when the oil flow exceeds the pressure caused by the restriction of the filter media...

there is a newer model GM car... that uses filters that are open element like the canister type from years ago...  its important to use delco filters. until the after market brands are fixed ... the filter media crushes and lodges in the oil galleys.. blocking the oil to the mains... and other places...

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techconnect/2010/09/engine-protection-depends-on-the-right-oil-filter.html      

take a look at the pictures on the link...   i wonder if there was possibly an adventure in the wrong weight of oil for the outside temps...

sticking strong magnets inside the bottom of fuel tanks will attract all the Red dUST that can mess with fuel systems...   i call it Red dUST as nobody will admit to having RUST in their gas tanks...    

sticking a strong used speaker magnet to the outside of the tank will also work.. at least until somebody pulls it off to wonder why its there... then sticks it back on...    you will probably not make 10 miles before the filter clogs... as it takes a while to collect the Red dUST again..

Charlie Chops 1940

Good suggestion Wayne - on it being an oil filter magnet. I just called my pal and he said it fits the oil filter just like it was made for it...

Imagine that.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

Someone probably changed the oil and put the magnet on the starter until he put on a new filter...then forgot.  I've never done anything like that.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

39deluxe

I have a filter magnet on my truck. It's an earth magnet and very hard to take off or move once on. Don't ask me how well it works. I haven't started the new engine yet. I plan on cutting the filter open to take a look once I run in the engine and change the oil.

Tom